Do Producers Get paid For Major placements on mixtapes?

G

Of course they get promotion but when Lex Luger created Waka Flocka-Hard In the Paint or even BMF/MC Hammer (as a street record before album) did he get paid? What about cats like beat billionaire, T-Minus (Drake-Im on one) which became a hit down the line, 40/Drake (marvins Room) I could keep going...

Do the big guys pay these producers for these mixtape placements that get so much attention?

Who knows if they got paid or not...The only people that know are those producers. Answer to the main question though "Do producers get paid for major placements on mixtapes"

Some do... some don't

okay I see.....maybe someone will come and grace us with a decent answer. lol

Of course they get promotion but when Lex Luger created Waka Flocka-Hard In the Paint or even BMF/MC Hammer (as a street record before album) did he get paid? What about cats like beat billionaire, T-Minus (Drake-Im on one) which became a hit down the line, 40/Drake (marvins Room) I could keep going...

Do the big guys pay these producers for these mixtape placements that get so much attention?

sure they gave the dude some money for bmf and mc hammer..doubtful on hard in the paint because waka wasn't big either, but ross..he have money

okay I see.....maybe someone will come and grace us with a decent answer. lol

That's the truth bro.. some producers get paid for mixtapes and others don't it really depends on what agreement is made.

Some producers bank on the promo and airplay(royalties) aspect of doing free work others are able to negotiate rates.

Last edited:
Just like anything else in this business its all negotiations. I doubt they got paid or even got much money for a mixtape placement because I doubt Rick Ross for example got much money for his mixtape. They're for promo purposes and in some cases its better to worry about getting the placement especially if you are an unknown and getting a popular record like that and getting your money from the other artists who come to you because of that record.

Well everyone I found the answer.....Its NO. I recently talked to a friend of mine who manages one of the biggest production teams out in America. He told me records like that the producers dont get paid, but like Cyko said, the once it hits the air then BDS counts it all and the label contact the producer to get the files for proper mixing. He told me it just really helps promotion getting that producers name out which INdirectly gets him more profit.

So keep sending those records out! Get you a hit!

Something to consider:

Artist may not get much from 'sales' on a mixtape ie they get none because its free BUT

Its still their song, im sure airplay still nets royalties.

Do they ever plan to perform the song at shows? Thats show money for your beat....

Just something to think about. IDK how it works, but id assume like everyone said it depends. If the artist doesnt pay up front hopefully at least you get good promo to sell other beats, or a split on the royalties.

Like dude above said, some do, some dont. it really all depends on the artist/producer relationship or the producers name. for example, lex has reached the point where he can charge everybody for a mixtape track. he doesnt need the artist, the artist wnts his sound and the name attached to it. i got a track on The Marathon Continues mixtape by Nipsey Hussle (10 toes) and i didnt get paid for it. to be honest neither he nor anyone in his squad contacted me to let me know they were using the beat. i found out a few days before the tape dropped and thats only because i heard my beat playing in the background of an interview he did. if u listen u can hear my tag all through out the beat.

now if he had contacted me i would have gladly set him the untagged version of the track but idk what happened with that. i can still sell that beat if i wanna. he released an instrumental and acapella version of the mixtape but 10 toes wasnt on there.

but im to the point where im not chasing mixtape placements. if run across an artist i believe in or support ill throw them a track for free but free doesnt pay the bills. im chasing after paid placements, got a few in the works right now. because unless your a household name theres no guarantee an artist will want to pay u for ur track, and their argument will be "well if i use this track on my mixtape it will help get ur name out to more people" and 9 times out of 10 u will oblige with that and run with it because u want exposure.

the only way to guarantee u will get paid for ur track is if its gonna get pushed as a single or gonna get placed on an album

I like that song you got with Los, Mia Ray, and Fredthegodson

i tried to post it on here but i dont have enough post. i lost posting privileges on my last account somehow, even though im never on here lol. i just wanna keep people updated on my journey to the top. things are takin off wayyy faster than i ever imagined honestly. its still all new to me and im learning as i go

Like dude above said, some do, some dont. it really all depends on the artist/producer relationship or the producers name. for example, lex has reached the point where he can charge everybody for a mixtape track. he doesnt need the artist, the artist wnts his sound and the name attached to it. i got a track on The Marathon Continues mixtape by Nipsey Hussle (10 toes) and i didnt get paid for it. to be honest neither he nor anyone in his squad contacted me to let me know they were using the beat. i found out a few days before the tape dropped and thats only because i heard my beat playing in the background of an interview he did. if u listen u can hear my tag all through out the beat.

now if he had contacted me i would have gladly set him the untagged version of the track but idk what happened with that. i can still sell that beat if i wanna. he released an instrumental and acapella version of the mixtape but 10 toes wasnt on there.

but im to the point where im not chasing mixtape placements. if run across an artist i believe in or support ill throw them a track for free but free doesnt pay the bills. im chasing after paid placements, got a few in the works right now. because unless your a household name theres no guarantee an artist will want to pay u for ur track, and their argument will be "well if i use this track on my mixtape it will help get ur name out to more people" and 9 times out of 10 u will oblige with that and run with it because u want exposure.

the only way to guarantee u will get paid for ur track is if its gonna get pushed as a single or gonna get placed on an album
quality post!

but dont quote me as some sort of music industry expert, like i said im learning as i go lol. im just speaking from personal experience. personally ive never been paid for a mixtape track but i havnt done much. i dont look for mixtape placements for that exact reason. i have bills too pay lol. i dont have a name to where i can demand payment for a beat thats gonna be used on a mixtape artist.

Back