Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do Producers Get paid For Major placements on mixtapes?

Thanks

Do Producers Get paid For Major placements on mixtapes?

Sign in to disable this ad
    Of course they get promotion but when Lex Luger created Waka Flocka-Hard In the Paint or even BMF/MC Hammer (as a street record before album) did he get paid? What about cats like beat billionaire, T-Minus (Drake-Im on one) which became a hit down the line, 40/Drake (marvins Room) I could keep going...

Do the big guys pay these producers for these mixtape placements that get so much attention?
    Record Producer, DJ & Mixing Engineer |www.TrillTrax.com
    Tallahassee, FL

Thanks
    Who knows if they got paid or not...The only people that know are those producers. Answer to the main question though "Do producers get paid for major placements on mixtapes"

Some do... some don't

Thanks
    ^^^ What he said

Thanks
    okay I see.....maybe someone will come and grace us with a decent answer. lol
    Tallahassee, FL

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Trill The Beatmaker View Post
    Of course they get promotion but when Lex Luger created Waka Flocka-Hard In the Paint or even BMF/MC Hammer (as a street record before album) did he get paid? What about cats like beat billionaire, T-Minus (Drake-Im on one) which became a hit down the line, 40/Drake (marvins Room) I could keep going...

Do the big guys pay these producers for these mixtape placements that get so much attention?
    sure they gave the dude some money for bmf and mc hammer..doubtful on hard in the paint because waka wasn't big either, but ross..he have money

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Trill The Beatmaker View Post
    okay I see.....maybe someone will come and grace us with a decent answer. lol
    That's the truth bro.. some producers get paid for mixtapes and others don't it really depends on what agreement is made.

Some producers bank on the promo and airplay(royalties) aspect of doing free work others are able to negotiate rates.
    Last edited by Cyko; 03-12-2012 at 01:54 PM.

Thanks
    Just like anything else in this business its all negotiations. I doubt they got paid or even got much money for a mixtape placement because I doubt Rick Ross for example got much money for his mixtape. They're for promo purposes and in some cases its better to worry about getting the placement especially if you are an unknown and getting a popular record like that and getting your money from the other artists who come to you because of that record.

Thanks
    Well everyone I found the answer.....Its NO. I recently talked to a friend of mine who manages one of the biggest production teams out in America. He told me records like that the producers dont get paid, but like Cyko said, the once it hits the air then BDS counts it all and the label contact the producer to get the files for proper mixing. He told me it just really helps promotion getting that producers name out which INdirectly gets him more profit.

So keep sending those records out! Get you a hit!
    Tallahassee, FL

Thanks
    Something to consider:

Artist may not get much from 'sales' on a mixtape ie they get none because its free BUT

Its still their song, im sure airplay still nets royalties.

Do they ever plan to perform the song at shows? Thats show money for your beat....

Just something to think about. IDK how it works, but id assume like everyone said it depends. If the artist doesnt pay up front hopefully at least you get good promo to sell other beats, or a split on the royalties.

Thanks
    Sometimes...
    Need Drums? Visit The Drum Broker @ http://www.hiphopdrumsamples.com

Thread Information