Do I have the potential to get signed to a major label one day?

Somasu

Last edited:
If that's what you're aiming for instead of independence then just go for it.
Keep in mind, that once you do get into that field that way you can't just take vacations and shit lol you'd have deadlines by then and it wouldn't be a hobby for you anymore.

If that's what you're aiming for instead of independence then just go for it.
Keep in mind, that once you do get into that field that way you can't just take vacations and shit lol you'd have deadlines by then and it wouldn't be a hobby for you anymore.
I want to make music my life, so I don't mind having no vocations and I don't want music to be just a hobby. So I'm fine with all of that. I am able to write songs quite quickly too, so I don't mind having deadlines too.

If you have cohorts that make music ask them for insight about their industry experiences 'cause once you go major, you're owned.

If you have cohorts that make music ask them for insight about their industry experiences 'cause once you go major, you're owned.
I don't know anyone that has been signed before - much less to a major label. I would definitely ask them, if I knew one.

Here are my three latest songs. I have an EP dropping in June. I'll also drop 2 more additional songs (that didn't make the EP) before June. These three songs, that I'm linking into this thread, also didn't make the EP.

Midnight in L.A.: Midnight in L.A. by Somasu | Free Listening on SoundCloud

Got To Get Away: Got To Get Away by Somasu | Free Listening on SoundCloud

Letters to my EX: Letters To My Ex [Prod. by Tygerz] by Somasu | Free Listening on SoundCloud

Do you have the potential? Maybe...

But you'd be arriving at the party about 20 years late... the industry isn't what it used to be.
They're not looking for the next Prince anymore, but for artists they can mold and fit the current trends, which they chase as much as everybody else... desparately so.
That's probably the main thing that changed in 20 years, 'the industry' (by that I mean the majors, a couple of large indies along with major radio and MTV) don't set the trends anymore.
They've become followers. Most of them are simply looking for quick bandwagons they can hop on. Artists that are already generating buzz and releasing stuff on their own..
and that they basically just have to slap their label on and put the grand ole marketing machine behind.

A lot of the richness you see on rappers, is fake. The boat is a prop, the car a rental and the mcMansion is owned by the label. The chains are on loan... and 'the artist' is probably miles
into debt because of some messed up clauses in his contract making him responsible for all the debt taken on 'launching him' until he actually starts to sell something.
Go ask 50 Cent how the fake dollar bill thing is going for him.
And guess what... nobody is selling shit these days. Income from streaming is terrible.. and even with the shitty royalties they pay most streaming services are far from breaking even!
Something's gotta give there. Mp3's (itunes) have a better margin, but hey.. since streaming everybody stopped buying MP3's.

Most of the money some labels make these days actually comes from things like licensing. Getting one song played under a commercial can earn you more than a string of successful albums.
That changes the music they're after.. you better start making upbeat major key shit with a lot of happy whistling and easy to hum along melodies ;) Oh, and learn to play Ukelele. Or pumping
trance for EA to put under the next Need for Speed. PewDiePie earns more money and has more fans and pull than almost any musician out there... and he just talks into a webcam with bad jokes.

Don't look at Rihanna or Kanye breaking records left and right.. Look at everybody just below that. They're not doing well. How many people do you see built into a star and then poof.. gone.
Look up how they're doing now.

Sorry to be so bleak.. but 'the dream' isn't what it used to be. In fact, 'the dream' never was what it seemed. Google 'mafia + music business' for some fun evening reading.
In any case... like I said, labels have stopped 'developing' artists and are mostly just looking for 'the next big thing' to co-opt. So even if you're going for it, the best first step would be to
go at it independently and start generating buzz for yourself. That's what they look for anyway, something that'll make them money NOW and keep the numbers somewhat black for another year.

A decent indie band, who put out their own stuff to their own niche crowd and perform live regularly, can make a very decent living these days.. and operate everything independently.
That seems to me a much better position to be in, than whatever 50 Cent is up to these days.. lol.

you have some catchy aspects of your craft and you have better lyrics than most but I'm not really digging the lack of pronunciation{it sounds like you have a retainer in your mouth or your mouth is numb or something.} Also the quantized rapping doesn't have re-play value for me. But those are preferences of mine and only an opinion.

But nowadays it does seem like music is very compartmentalized so you might be able to build enough of a following to support what you do.

Last edited:
you have some catchy aspects of your craft and you have better lyrics than most but I'm not really digging the lack of pronunciation{it sounds like you have a retainer in your mouth or your mouth is numb or something.} Also the quantized rapping doesn't have re-play value for me. But those are preferences of mine and only an opinion.

But nowadays it does seem like music is very compartmentalized so you might be able to build enough of a following to support what you do.
what does quantised rapping mean?

Do you have the potential? Maybe...

But you'd be arriving at the party about 20 years late... the industry isn't what it used to be.
They're not looking for the next Prince anymore, but for artists they can mold and fit the current trends, which they chase as much as everybody else... desparately so.
That's probably the main thing that changed in 20 years, 'the industry' (by that I mean the majors, a couple of large indies along with major radio and MTV) don't set the trends anymore.
They've become followers. Most of them are simply looking for quick bandwagons they can hop on. Artists that are already generating buzz and releasing stuff on their own..
and that they basically just have to slap their label on and put the grand ole marketing machine behind.

A lot of the richness you see on rappers, is fake. The boat is a prop, the car a rental and the mcMansion is owned by the label. The chains are on loan... and 'the artist' is probably miles
into debt because of some messed up clauses in his contract making him responsible for all the debt taken on 'launching him' until he actually starts to sell something.
Go ask 50 Cent how the fake dollar bill thing is going for him.
And guess what... nobody is selling shit these days. Income from streaming is terrible.. and even with the shitty royalties they pay most streaming services are far from breaking even!
Something's gotta give there. Mp3's (itunes) have a better margin, but hey.. since streaming everybody stopped buying MP3's.

Most of the money some labels make these days actually comes from things like licensing. Getting one song played under a commercial can earn you more than a string of successful albums.
That changes the music they're after.. you better start making upbeat major key shit with a lot of happy whistling and easy to hum along melodies ;) Oh, and learn to play Ukelele. Or pumping
trance for EA to put under the next Need for Speed. PewDiePie earns more money and has more fans and pull than almost any musician out there... and he just talks into a webcam with bad jokes.

Don't look at Rihanna or Kanye breaking records left and right.. Look at everybody just below that. They're not doing well. How many people do you see built into a star and then poof.. gone.
Look up how they're doing now.

Sorry to be so bleak.. but 'the dream' isn't what it used to be. In fact, 'the dream' never was what it seemed. Google 'mafia + music business' for some fun evening reading.
In any case... like I said, labels have stopped 'developing' artists and are mostly just looking for 'the next big thing' to co-opt. So even if you're going for it, the best first step would be to
go at it independently and start generating buzz for yourself. That's what they look for anyway, something that'll make them money NOW and keep the numbers somewhat black for another year.

A decent indie band, who put out their own stuff to their own niche crowd and perform live regularly, can make a very decent living these days.. and operate everything independently.
That seems to me a much better position to be in, than whatever 50 Cent is up to these days.. lol.

It might be just because it appeals to the beliefs I already have about the music industry, but I'd say this is the most informative post of 2017 so far...

I just realised what you mean by "quantised rapping". I've never quantised a rap vocals to be perfectly on the beat. Is that what you mean?

What I mean by quantized rapping is it is not a fluid, continuous flow. It's choppy. A lot of rappers are utilizing that style now days though.
Don't get too preoccupied with my opinion bro - but you asked so I told you. I think the hook and the lyrics are dope AF though

What I mean by quantized rapping is it is not a fluid, continuous flow. It's choppy. A lot of rappers are utilizing that style now days though.
Don't get too preoccupied with my opinion bro - but you asked so I told you. I think the hook and the lyrics are dope AF though
I'm only asking just to know what to work on in the future. I'm still new to rapping; only been rapping for 10 months. But I'm always looking to keep pushing myself

Back