Do artists/bands buy a spot to be on the Grammys?

prodeucer

Some band act like they don't want to be on the Grammys but I thought they had to purchase a spot to be on the Grammys? Is this not true? Some people think bands get voted in on the rock n' roll hall of fame but what the general public do not know is that the artists/bands have to pay a fee to be on the spot. It's nothing more than a form of advertising, really. Am I right?

Or maybe once those institutions vote your band in, they show the terms and conditions (and fees/hidden fees) to see if you want to be part of it. Nothing is free in this world, you know? Is this valid? Is my guess about right? I've heard this is true with the rock n' roll hall of fame but I'm unsure if the Grammys work in a similar way (or any awards for that matter) or do they go per records sold?

Why would they force well known artists to pay to be on the Grammys when the only reason the Grammys are popular is because of those artists?

They make money off views and ad revenue, not the artists, they provide the views to get the ad revenue in the first place.

Last edited:
But I was right about the rock n' roll hall of fame right? Bands and artists have to front $100K? From what I've heard. Kinda like those songwriting contests, you gotta pay to play (like the music industry). As a former writer for a few mags (print and web), most bands and artists and their labels to be on the editor's/owner's "favorite" list, they all usually buy ads in the publications, so any indie or "demo" artists pretty much get treated second rate. Ever wonder why most at The Grammy's are major label artists? You gotta pay to play. I just wasn't sure about The Grammy's, I guess those popular artists already paid their dues to make it to The Grammys to begin with, in other words they already paid to play one way or the other. Atleast they got $100,000 worth of free goodies (or was it the Academys?).

Perhaps some of the bigger acts have "donated" some money back to the Rock Hall. But as a rule-- NO, on your theory re: the Grammys and the R&RHoF.

Members of the academy put a group, artist, or producer up for consideration. This is _not_ a nomination. From that pool, artists/groups/producers/songwriters are nominated, and the nominees are voted on. It used to be that any/every member would vote on every category. The Latin Grammys have split off into their own thing now, and it may be that the Engineers/Producers Wing votes on their categories separately as well; I'm not sure. I am going to be joining the Recording Academy (just haven't gotten a "round tuit" yet); I have enough qualifying recordings. But I worked with a bandleader that was a voting member, so I've seen how the process works.

What you _may_ have heard/are mistaking for "pay to play" in this case, is the fact that artists are on their own to get to the Grammys as far as lodging and I think a ticket to the show, if they are nominated. We had a guy from Buffalo a few years back that was nominated in the Polka category; I think they had some fund-raisers for him to cover the cost of the trip/lodging/ticket to get to Cali and back. But as far as I know, nobody that is invited to play on-stage has to pay anything for the pleasure. You would have heard about that in a Rolling Stone, Vibe or XXL "expose" about that years ago if it were so...

GJ

Last edited:
No they do not, artists are evaluated based upon radio points, streaming, views and w/e the world talks about them. Adelle did her song too late and did not get an award but her song is praised by millions. Agencies usually push artists through ads and these investments are what hurts independents artists. You can't argue that labeled artists are better than independent because there are good artsits everywhere and bad ones everywhere. I am surprised Justin Bieber pulled his shit together and began singing good music. Thanks to KYGO!!

>>>>No they do not, artists are evaluated based upon radio points, streaming, views and w/e the world talks about them.<<<<

What are you referencing here, SolidShark? The Grammys, the Rock Hall, or something different?

GJ

Back