Distribution label

deanlofts

Cubase Addict
Hello, I am thinking about using my websites brand to move into online distribution. I already have one decent artist out there and I have covered his distribution quite well. In fact I just use CDBaby and pay the fees (nothing to it, really the value is in my brand name). If I were to sign an artist on to my label what would be a reasonable % to ask for. I was thinking about stating to them that after I get the fees back that I only take something like 10% of sales. Is this too much or too little?

what value are you going to offer besides paying the upfront fees for artists
not hating I actually want you to brainstorm
some amazing additional services so you can add value to your brand and ask for more money for those that take you up on your distribution

I will be doing things like this as well when I start signing actual artists paying for everything and asking for 70% of all the revenue but that's from production to tracking to mastering to distribution(the whole bang).

as well for my production/song development members paying their membership fees to taxi,ASCAP/BMI doing the paperwork etc...

so after all that I just wrote look at what the competition prices and adjust your sense you're also paying the fee
because CDbaby takes a % of the sale right

but 10% sounds about right as you're dong all the paperwork,uploading the music and all that entails.

-Coach Antonio
"Let Me Handle your next Praise Party"

Make Money from Your Music New Money Marketing Forum
Music Business Professionals Read Their Tips
Elite Services for those Who Want to Attain their Goals
Research and Information Gathering Expert
Building Relationships to Build Success
Get the Information and Direction You Deserve
The Walking On Water Media/Ent. Business Coach Antonio​

There isn't too much to offer apart from that over here our local distribution is lacking a lot when it comes to an online presence. I am just offering my brand to these artists as a means of association and actually making their music available to a wider audience. At the moment a lot of them are on i-tunes and that is it. I don't want to be involved with their music at all, as long as they are able to sell enough to cover the fees I am not fussed. I can give them a professional looking blog using my website and domain and also promote them.

EDIT: I could offer a lot more but I don't want it to end up as a huge amount of work, getting them a presence on wikipedia, making sure that they know the ins and outs of social media and just general advise could be included.

Last edited:
When there's a third wheel in the middle you be better to do it a 70-30 split. 70% going to the artists. You still are going to pay fees from cdbaby and there'll be fees from the digital outlets that cdbaby sends to. 70-30 is more than fair. In the end it'll be working out to about 15% for your pocket.

Back