Distributing Beats and Publishing

OnCore Beatz

Okay, I'm starting to realize exactly how big of a scrub I am when it comes to the music business...

I've been making beats for years, and I'm just now starting to have artists wanting to rap on my beats. Prior to now, I've mainly just distributed them for free to unsigned mixtape artists that work for promotional purposes. Now that I actually have some decent rappers wanting my beats, I've began to venture into the business side of the industry.

I just received an email from a rapper who wants to do a collaboration mixtape: all my beats and all his lyrics. We've been discussing this for a couple days and he just asked me what publishing company I'm with. Having never been asked this before, I had no idea what to say. He said he's with BMI right now, so I googled BMI and have been trying to figure out what I need to do. Apparently I need to register with a publishing company?

I've also read many of the stickies on this page, and still really don't know how it's all supposed to work. I was previously under the impression that anybody who wanted an exclusive beat, I would send it to them in an email with the beat and a pdf of a contract of their rights with the track (all after i get paid of course).

So what do publishing companies do for producers and what would you advise that I do?

Back