Decision between songwriting/production vs becoming A&R

hakasehakase

Hi all

I have been co-writing for about 2 years now as a music producer (I don't write toplines) and have been producing a couple No.1's in the Asian market.

Recently I had an offer to work at a major publishing company as an A&R for songwriters and producers.

And I have to choose to accept that offer and quite writing songs and become a music business man or to continue my career as a songwriter.

My age is 26 at the moment but I am scared of the future of music producers. Making music is like breathing to me and I do love it but if I think my career ahead, I can't really think of a bright future but just some dark path.

I can live off of music right now but I don't know whats going to happen next year, or 10, 20 years because of the shrinking market and the dominance of music streaming.

I now there is a lifespan for songwriters and music producers because the trend is fast and it is hard to keep up as as you get older.

I want to know what kind of life music producers have after their retirement.
And should I take the job as a A&R for the publishing company.

what's the publishing company? and how are you making your music in the industry to be able to live off of it?

It depends, do you want to continue writing music or do you want to the recruit other artists? What pays more? Ultimately though, which path into the industry make you happy?

Personally I would continue writing music because creating music is something that will live forever. Recruiting artists will die when you die. Creating something though will live on after you die. ;)

Hi!
Thanks for the reply!The publishing company is one of the biggest companies in the world.
I make about $6000 a month right now. Of course it depends on the month but I think I get more than the people that make money my age.
Right now being a songwriter would pay more, but if you think as a lifespan I think publishing company will pay me more. Since I know the royalties and production fees will decrease in the past few years because of the heavy recession in the music industry.

Right now I do want to make songs but I dont know if I want to make songs for 10 or 20 years. Imagining the life of sitting in the studio all day alone for 10 plus years just makes me shiver since I love to interact with people and I'm quite a social dude.
And I have an education at a university with a business and economics major, and me being a person that loves communication, I thought publishing company suites me more.
But I do still love writing music since its like a therapy to me.

Ughhh so hard to decide this.

how do you get 6k a month songwriting? just curious. Or are there other revenue streams? That's pretty impressive!

It's not 6k, its $6000 lol
but yeah also the production fee included since i do all the production.
I think there's alot more producers that make twice as much than me?

Back