Creating a vlog - is it a good way for marketing?

M

Mdkw

yo, Im working on my website right now, where Im gonna post my new beats, news about me or rappers that are somehow connected to me, drum kitz, articles, tutorials and all that stuff.
And while makin the graphics today with my homie we figured out that we should try to make a Vlog on youtube.

And the questions are:

1. Is a vlog a good way to show Yourself to the world?
2. Should people with weird accents but understandable do that? <yes, lol>
3. Do You know any examples of rappers, producers who with help of vlogs stay in contact with their fans and gather even more fans? OR examples of rappers/producers who were signed beacuse someone saw their vlog and wanted to hear some beats?
4. Should Rappers and producers try to not promote theirselfs but to promote their BRAND and try to "connect" people with that, so the fans gonna be like "omg Cocacola made a beat/wrote a book, im gonna check this out bcuz it was made by cocacola"

The discussion I wanna start statred kind of itself in the topic about Lil Wayne's sport vlog, where for example deRaNged 4 Phuk'dup wrote
I don't understand the spectrum of intrigue Lil Wayne has. I can't understand how people can't respect the fact he is a lyricist with some heat who knows how to make pop records and can just hate on his entire catalog...but I also can't understand how you could be enough of a fan to wanna watch some shyt like "weezy's sports corner". Why doesn't he just have fans that like the song or don't and move the f**k on like everyone else? You either gotta want him dead or want to watch his dumbazz talk nonsense about sports? WTF? Who wants to see that? But those guys arent as sick as the ones who wish bad on him who never met him, so...

Isnt that more like making a brand, like coca cola and promoting it? Coca cola got this big trucks ridin from one city to another in the christmas time and promoting their brand, just to make people buy more coca colas.
Shouldnt rappers and producers do that?
Is it good way to see marketing as selling/giving Your brand to the people, not Yourself?

Mdkw said:
1. Is a vlog a good way to show Yourself to the world?

A vlog is the best way to entertain your audience. Tons of people are still finding success on YouTube; however, the ones who do are good at entertaining people. Either that, or they have a professional way of delivering content that their viewers want to watch. Create a channel that people can interact with and you'll get results.

Mdkw said:
2. Should people with weird accents but understandable do that?

Just speak as clearly as possible and deliver the goes. Those who listen will understand you. We all have our insecurities so don't worry about your accent, or funny voice. People could like that about you if you give them a chance too.

Mdkw said:
3. Do You know any examples of rappers, producers who with help of vlogs stay in contact with their fans and gather even more fans? OR examples of rappers/producers who were signed beacuse someone saw their vlog and wanted to hear some beats?

Check out this thread. Learn from these guy's. Don't concern yourself with a record deal; especially in the beginning of your career. Just build you online audience. Labels will find you if you're doing your job.

Mdkw said:
4. Should Rappers and producers try to not promote theirselfs but to promote their BRAND and try to "connect" people with that, so the fans gonna be like "omg Cocacola made a beat/wrote a book, im gonna check this out bcuz it was made by cocacola"

Promote yourself until you develop a brand. People want to know about you first. They want to see you doing well so they can look to you for hope, guidance, confirmation, among other things. Just perfect the art of being you.

People love Wayne because he brings the party. His music is a preview what what you can experience at his events. The guy has millions of hip hop fans all over the world. Clubs and venues hire him because they know that money will come from doing so. His vlog is another side of him that the public would've not had the chance to see, if you wasn't for YouTube.

Producers and rappers have one job and it's to create music that people can use as the sound track to their life, commercials, movies, and more. The most important thing you do learn to promote other people brands, so they can pay you for it. Always sell yourself first.

Thanks for Your answer.

The third question was asked only beacuse I hear all the time that people dont get jobs beacuse they post shit on facebook etc. and I was curious how all what You say on the internet influence the possibility of getting signed or of getting job in the music industry.

I got no polish accent, no german accent, I got weird non-nation accent I think and I speak sometimes weird. But Im kind of good at entertaining people, so im gonna try it ;-)
And I know that I ask sometimes about really basic things, but sometimes You dont see the answers even if they are near to You. Know what I mean?

Thanks for Your answer.

The third question was asked only beacuse I hear all the time that people dont get jobs beacuse they post shit on facebook etc. and I was curious how all what You say on the internet influence the possibility of getting signed or of getting job in the music industry.

I got no polish accent, no german accent, I got weird non-nation accent I think and I speak sometimes weird. But Im kind of good at entertaining people, so im gonna try it ;-)
And I know that I ask sometimes about really basic things, but sometimes You dont see the answers even if they are near to You. Know what I mean?

I get it, and you definitely want to be careful with what you put on online.

Back