Copyrights

Maccmo

Let's say I just made a track as good as, for example Animals. Now as a bedroom producer, what should I do with it? Should I ghost it, how this can be done? Should I post it on forums? Should I send it to labels and how is this even possible? Should I upload it to YouTube, do I have copyrights for the song immediately if I do so? If it gets really big on YouTube and it is my own upload from bedroom, will I miss something?

Good questions. A lot of them are pretty broad; I would consider focusing one question at a time, and posting them (one time each) in the appropriate forums to see what kind of responses you get from the folks here at FP.

In general, I believe it is always better to register your copyright with the Library of Congress (if you are in the US, or whichever governmental body presides in whichever country you happen to be in). Certain rights and privileges are guaranteed if you take the time and spend the small amount of money to register. That said, according to US and international law, once you take your idea "out of your head" and put it in a fixed form (a recording of a song, for instance), then your copyright is established. All you have to do is put a notice on it with the (c) symbol stating the year and name of the copyright holder (for instance/as an example: "(c) 2015, Mccmo, All Rights Reserved"). I would still register it, though, before posting on any sites, YouTube, etc.; all you have to do is search the horror stories here and at other sites to understand why (people do and will try and steal good material; it's easier to defend your claim if it's registered).

For a great primer on copyright, the music business, contracts, etc., etc., I would strongly suggest getting a copy of whatever the latest edition of Donald Passman's book is ("Everything You Always Wanted to Know about the Music Business...").

GJ

Last edited:
Back