Copyrighting Music: Can We Just Copyright 15 Seconds Of Each Track?

floriant

To save space ?

Like instead of sending 10 mp3, can we send 1 mp3 but with many beats in it of 20 secondes ? You know, to just copyright the composition, why sending a 3 minutes loop ? Thanks.

Last edited:
To save space ?

Like instead of sending 10 mp3, can we send 1 mp3 but with many beats in it of 20 secondes ? You know, to just copyright the composition, why sending a 3 minutes loop ? Thanks.

Just send the full track. When I registered my music (with the US office) I uploaded over 100 tracks at once.

That being said, I just wanted to share something I read somewhere.

*caveat: I am not sure about the accuracy of this ~

What I read was that In terms of copyright and going to court behind your copyrights - If you have done a bulk registration it may affect what you can receive as damages in terms of a settlement.

For example, if you have uploaded each track 1 by 1 and each track has its own registration number you could possibly be awarded more because it would be perceived as the track having significant value because it was registered by itself.

Something to consider...

Is it smart to only register and protect the songs that are popular, ...or should ya protect everything? and ya, does it cost to register a tune with a PRO?

Is it smart to only register and protect the songs that are popular, ...or should ya protect everything?

Register everything. You could be retirement age and the new [insert iconic artist here] samples your music. Your copyright registration ensures you'll get something. Again, refer to what I said about bulk registrations.

and ya, does it cost to register a tune with a PRO?

I believe most pro's (once you are signed up) don't charge a fee for registration. You just fill out the data and that's that. (Double check this with your PRO for accuracy tho)

Also: I am no pro at any of this stuff just some guy on a forum - so mos def do your homework. :cheers:

Last edited:
Back