Copyrighting a Mixtape with leased beats?

Ptown90

Hi All,

I have a question concerning Copyrighting a Mix-tape. I'm a recording artist soon to drop my first Mix-tape. My question is: If I've leased beats from somewhere like Soundclick can I then Copyright the songs on my tape or would I just copyright the lyrics? If so, how would I go about doing so? Would it be a SR?

I wouldn't waste your time copyrighting mixtape songs using leased beats. Spend the time and money on promoting your tape instead.

Copyrighting a Mixtape with Leased beats

You're right, but the Copyright is only $35 or $40 dollars and I don't trust anyone lol. Anyone else? Can this be done?

I'm honestly not sure, as said above I wouldn't worry about it. But, I usually if you lease a beat you technically don't own the copyrights to the beat. I would just copyright your lyrics

P.s. if you have any more future projects, check out my site for beats

You should onlyy copyright songs with beats you exclusively own, otherwise there could be some conflict later down the road, good music, btw

It's a mixtape bro... Now if it was an album, EP or something you're selling, then I would worry about it.

Re:

True, but I was thinking about making it an EP. Do people do that? Used Leased beats for an EP? If so, same question as before..is there anyway I copyright just the lyrics portion and what would that go under? SR or PA?

invest in your project

buy exclusive instrumentals
talk to the producer and neiogiate the terms of the aggreement
how many copies and % of the royalties after so many copies sold

get these producers on the phone/skype or something

https://www.futureproducers.com/for...rted/studio-upgrade-what-do-you-think-415775/

-Coach Antonio
"Let Me Handle your next Praise Party"

Make Money from Your Music New Money Marketing Forum*
*Music Business Professionals Read Their Tips
Elite Services for those Who Want to Attain their Goals
Research and Information Gathering Expert
Building Relationships to Build Success
Get the Information and Direction You Deserve
The Walking On Water Media/Ent. Business Coach Antonio​

Whenever you make a song to a "beat", its a new work. Yes copyright it. You have to simply add to copyright owner of the beat when you do the form. It doesn't mean you are "owning" the copyright of the beat per se, but if you used a licensed beat it is apart of the new copyrighted work--> BE SURE TO ADD THE PRODUCER REAL NAME when you copyright and check the options for "composition uses a previously released work" etc...lots of this type of info is on my blog at my site as well.

Hope that helps

Back