Copyrighting beats?

wavygrvy

Whats up FP, I am in the process of copyrighting some beats that i will be posting on my youtube/personal beat site (yes yes i know that its already copywritten the moment i make it), the problem i have is, someone once told me that if i copyright my beats that i want to sell it will cause trouble when trying to sell the exclusive? does anyone have experience with this? on my contracts i wrote that i still own the rights to the instrumental( lease or exclusive) which i have seen on many producers websites. also i demand 50/50 for the publishing.

Whats up FP, I am in the process of copyrighting some beats that i will be posting on my youtube/personal beat site (yes yes i know that its already copywritten the moment i make it), the problem i have is, someone once told me that if i copyright my beats that i want to sell it will cause trouble when trying to sell the exclusive? does anyone have experience with this? on my contracts i wrote that i still own the rights to the instrumental( lease or exclusive) which i have seen on many producers websites. also i demand 50/50 for the publishing.

Whatever you have in writing holds up in court. If your contract states the terms you want, and the other party physically or digitally signs it, you win. Not sure what this "someone" was talking about, but I've never heard of anything like that happening if the contract is properly written.

BTW, a copyright is the right to copy and distribute the art. If you own the copy right, you still can sell exclusive rights, you'll just have to uphold your end of the contract and not sell rights to anyone else. Hope that helps.

Cheers!

got it thanks a lot man, since the actual signing digitally would be a little hard, can i say "by clicking agree.." instead?

Whatever you have in writing holds up in court. If your contract states the terms you want, and the other party physically or digitally signs it, you win. Not sure what this "someone" was talking about, but I've never heard of anything like that happening if the contract is properly written.

BTW, a copyright is the right to copy and distribute the art. If you own the copy right, you still can sell exclusive rights, you'll just have to uphold your end of the contract and not sell rights to anyone else. Hope that helps.

Cheers!

got it thanks a lot man, since the actual signing digitally would be a little hard, can i say "by clicking agree.." instead?

You can if you want to be extra safe, but as long as the original email you sent with the track has the contract attached to it, it holds up as them digitally signing the contract.

Oh really? so just sending it with the contract is considered them signing it/agreeing to it? sorry i am new to this lol

You can if you want to be extra safe, but as long as the original email you sent with the track has the contract attached to it, it holds up as them digitally signing the contract.

Oh really? so just sending it with the contract is considered them signing it/agreeing to it? sorry i am new to this lol

Yes. As long as the contract is delivered with the instrumental. That's why I like using beat store services like myflashstore because you have better tracking of all that stuff. there are others too like beatport, beatstars, etc. You can find out more contract info from those sites, since they are big web companies that deal in selling beat rights all day long.

much appreciated and yeah im going with myflashstore seems like the most legit one

Yes. As long as the contract is delivered with the instrumental. That's why I like using beat store services like myflashstore because you have better tracking of all that stuff. there are others too like beatport, beatstars, etc. You can find out more contract info from those sites, since they are big web companies that deal in selling beat rights all day long.

Back