Copyright for Producers (plus a free guide)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SJackson

CFPcover_zps2adeda13.jpg

Alright, this is a long post, so I'll give you a summary up front: Copyright for Producers is a guide written for up and coming producers that gives you the essential information on protecting your music, without being loaded down with legal jargon.

On Amazon, it's about $23 for a hard copy. Since I wrote it, I can give FP members a discount on the electronic copy: $10 here. Also, at the bottom of that page is a link to download a shorter (but still important) guide, Trademark for Producers, for free.

As with everything I write, if you're not satisfied in any way, shoot us an email and we'll refund your money- no questions asked.

More info below

----

The topic isn’t as sexy as music theory, but in some ways it could be even more important. If you want to have a financially successful career as a producer and avoid lawsuits, at some point you’ll have to understand:

How to protect your music from infringement

How to protect yourself, so you don’t accidentally put yourself in someone’s legal crosshairs

Every high-level producer has an intellectual property attorney that handles these issues, but as someone new in the industry you probably can’t spare $400/hour for a lawyer (yes, it really can cost that much).

Before writing this book, I did a lot of research to see if the information could be found online. What I found was very sad. There is some information out there, but most of it is downright wrong- for example, I did a Google search of, “Do you need permission to record a cover song?” I found several websites with users saying things like, “Of course you do, contact the songwriter.”

That’s simply not true. You can cover a song without an artist/writer’s permission, as long as you pay the appropriate (predetermined) royalty.

This is just one example, but unfortunately there is a lot of misinformation floating around on the internet. If you’re making a track and play a wrong note, the worst thing that can happen is that you have a crappy song. If you make certain mistakes when it comes to copyrights and intellectual property, you could find yourself in serious financial trouble (just ask Lord Tariq and Peter Gunz).

Copyright for Producers explains the following:

The best ways to protect your music

Sampling (including sample clearing step-by-step)

Copyright Infringement

How to use music and artwork legally and without paying royalties

The Producer-Label relationship with regards to copyright

Collaborations

…and more, of course. The good news is, I’ve taken university coursework in law and anecdotal experience to give you the information you need, and cut out the legal jargon. You could easily buy a few IP law textbooks and learn the same stuff, but it would be expensive and consume an incredible amount of time. You could just get a lawyer, but that would be even more pricey.

I can promise two things: the information in this book is accurate and up-to-date (articles on the internet usually aren’t), and you will encounter this stuff explained as you move forward in the music industry. This book isn’t meant to replace a good lawyer, but it will give you the basic chops you need when starting out. It is much better to know this information than to be in the dark.

The hardcopy sells on Amazon for ~$23, and the digital version is on my site for $14. Right now, for FP members, it’s $10 here: Copyright for Producers (FP discount).

Also, there is a short guide to trademarking, which is a bit different than copyright. It is free at the bottom of that page- no purchase required.

As always, if you read it and don’t feel like it was worth the $10, shoot an email to the address on the page and we’ll refund your money, no questions asked. It’s just two of us working on these books, and we have no interest in ripping off anyone. We’re producers ourselves, so we know where you’re coming from.

Siberius

Being skeptical and somewhat curious of these 'guides' that pop up here from time to time I decided to put myself out there and purchase this one.

I figured even though I think I'm pretty well versed in Copyright I could still probably learn something new.

That said, I purchased the set of books (music theory and copyright) and I gotta say that they were decent reads.

Despite a few typos the books delivered as promised and I also learned a few new things as well.

So for new producers out there looking to learn about some of the basics of music theory and copyright these books are (IMO) a good starting point and are worth checking out.

Last edited:
This is a scam!!! I gave all my payment information and was NEVER redirected to the download site, but I was still charged and the payment went through! This is bs!! Don't fall for this sh**!

This is a scam!!! I gave all my payment information and was NEVER redirected to the download site, but I was still charged and the payment went through! This is bs!! Don't fall for this sh**!

It's not a scam. You weren't redirected to the download page properly. It's either the site's fault or a small glitch in PayPal.

Either way, I just sent you the book via email. You emailed me about the problem 7 hours ago, and as soon as I saw it, I fixed it.

I live in Europe right now, which is a six hour time difference from Baltimore. I was asleep when you emailed about the problem. This is a small operation with only a few products that don't generally make much money. We don't have 24/7 tech support, nor will we ever have it. No one is getting ripped off or taken advantage of. Everything will be OK.

You should have the book now. If 7 hours to fix your problem was too much, and you're still upset, please let me know and I'll refund your money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back