Copyright Issues!!! Song Might Blow Up!! Please Help!

blakghostbeats

About a year ago I made a beat to a female singer from the UK. At the time I just thought she was making music as a hobby and nothing would really come out of it. Turns out this chick used to work for a broadcasting company and currently works for a famous club. She used the connections from broadcasting company and the club to make a song and video to my beat. A famous producer from the UK was involved in the recording and mixing process and even added some sounds to my beat. She told me that she was going to have a video shoot for the song. I thought it was going to be a little production but I was wrong. She showed me a picture of the set and its extremely professional. I mean ferraris, guys in tuxedos, the whole 9 yards!! Im in the process of getting the copyright for the song right now because I think this song will blow up out there.

My question is, if the song is a hit and makes a lot of money, will I be entitled to some of it even though i never charged her for the beat?

When I copyright do I just copyright the beat or do I copyright the entire song?

Thanks!

of course you get royalties man! unless you`re signed with a publishing company or label or something and signed some of your rights to them....copyright that shit dont waste a minute!

Sorry to ask this but since you said this famous producer added some sounds to it...did he (the uk producer) copyright this song ALREADY? This is pretty standard when making a track for a major label, so the track may already be owned by this producer & female artist. All is not lost if it is though because it sounds like you are in the loop for what is happening with the track. If they were trying to take this ALL for themselves they would have never told you about it. If it were me I would just have a conversation with the artist about any monies if the song does takes off. Of course you may just get co-producer credit along with this famous UK producer and that may give you more work then you know what to do with....which will equal money in your pocket anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
this is a great situation for the original poster...but if you
had registered his copyright before hand....you wouldn't have much to worry about..I very happy for you sir but from now on please register your copyrights you don't know what ppl will do with your instrumentals

The Walking On Water Media/Ent. Business Coach Antonio
Research and Information Gathering Expert

Copyright what you have and register with a PRO

No you can only copyright what you've created not what she has created

Copyright what you have and register with a PRO

No you can only copyright what you've created not what she has created
oh yeah can't forget your PRO they work for you because if you get paid they get paid

About a year ago I made a beat to a female singer from the UK. At the time I just thought she was making music as a hobby and nothing would really come out of it. Turns out this chick used to work for a broadcasting company and currently works for a famous club. She used the connections from broadcasting company and the club to make a song and video to my beat. A famous producer from the UK was involved in the recording and mixing process and even added some sounds to my beat. She told me that she was going to have a video shoot for the song. I thought it was going to be a little production but I was wrong. She showed me a picture of the set and its extremely professional. I mean ferraris, guys in tuxedos, the whole 9 yards!! Im in the process of getting the copyright for the song right now because I think this song will blow up out there.

My question is, if the song is a hit and makes a lot of money, will I be entitled to some of it even though i never charged her for the beat?

When I copyright do I just copyright the beat or do I copyright the entire song?

Thanks!

Registering for copyrights kind of late, huh? When you register, you only need to protect the beat; or, the parts that you created. Other than that, you don't own the rights for the lyrics or other added parts. Now, you should be registered with ASCAP, BMI or SESAC to get your owed royalties. Otherwise, without a royalty distributor, you a*sed out; meaning, you will not get the royalties you seek unless you have ASCAP, BMI or SESAC.

Hopefully you've learned from this experience. Always copyright your beats 1st, don't let your eagerness impair your judgement. You can register more than one song at a time because the price is the same. There are file size limitations so check the LOC FOr details. Congrats on your project and I hope your song sells a ton.

First off, your beat is copyrighted. If you have the source files you have proof that it is copyrighted.

This is the issue that gets a lot of people confused regarding copyrights:

In the USA you can not file a Copyright infringement claim unless you formally filed a copyright with the copyright office. It's not too late to formally copyright your music. But IF the artist is making money off your beat before you formally copyright it, those profits can't be recouped. You can only claim profits made AFTER you're copyright was formally filed(not submitted, because there is lag between submitting and when it gets officially filed)

Last edited:
I agree with mobeatz. Also, besides production credit, I would contact both the artist and producer about receiving publishing on the song. Even if the UK producer added instruments to your track... If it is the same "skeleton" of your song, with the same chords and everything, you should be granted publishing on the song as a co-writer (yes, chord progression is included in songwriting). So nevermind the production credit, although it could gain you some recognition. All they would have to do is break you off with a flat rate, and you wouldn't see any mechanical royalties anyways if you don't have publishing on the song. So I would focus on that first, along with the copyright of the composition.

First off, your beat is copyrighted. If you have the source files you have proof that it is copyrighted.

In the USA you can not file a Copyright infringement claim unless you formally filed a copyright with the copyright office. It's not too late to formally copyright your music. But IF the artist is making money off your beat before you formally copyright it, those profits can't be recouped. You can only claim profits made AFTER you're copyright was formally filed(not submitted, because there is lag between submitting and when it gets officially filed)

yes you should REGISTER your copyright with the LIBRARY OF CONGRESS

yes you should REGISTER your copyright with the LIBRARY OF CONGRESS

No need to type in bold. I never said otherwise. I just made clear that your wok is copyrighted as soon as it's on paper, poems etc. or recorded, music. That is a fact. And IF you didn't file a copyright with the govt. it's never too late to do so!

I think in Canada, they say one of the best ways to copyright your music would be to enclose your music in an envelope/package and mail it to yourself. This way is acceptable since it will have a date and is an authorized government agency.

Is this method at all applicable to the US or UK?

of course you get royalties man! unless you`re signed with a publishing company or label or something and signed some of your rights to them....copyright that shit dont waste a minute!

I did the copyright. Just the beat tho.

I must hear this song link? Lol... And coprright quick you never know!

I can't post the link until the song is released.

Sorry to ask this but since you said this famous producer added some sounds to it...did he (the uk producer) copyright this song ALREADY? This is pretty standard when making a track for a major label, so the track may already be owned by this producer & female artist. All is not lost if it is though because it sounds like you are in the loop for what is happening with the track. If they were trying to take this ALL for themselves they would have never told you about it. If it were me I would just have a conversation with the artist about any monies if the song does takes off. Of course you may just get co-producer credit along with this famous UK producer and that may give you more work then you know what to do with....which will equal money in your pocket anyway.

Im not sure if he got the copyright. From what she has told me she just went to him to have the song mixed and mastered. She has kept me in the loop so I think ill just ask her about royalties. Thanks!

---------- Post added at 09:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:04 PM ----------

Thanks for responding to this. You guys have helped me out a lot. I got the copyright for the beat and Im with ASCAP. Been with them from 2007. I'll register the song with them so that I can get royalties if this song takes off. Once again, THANKS!!!!!

you're welcome getting foreign work is great...exposure to a whole new/different market

Building Relationships to Build Success
Get the Information and Direction You Deserve

Do you guys really copyright every single beat you produce? How much does it cost?

REGISTER your COPYRIGHT with the LIBRARY OF CONGRESS and you can register several instrumentals at one time for same price as registering one instrumental

Building Relationships to Build Success
Get the Information and Direction You Deserve

Back