Copyright Beats

did you read the stickies and the other 100+ threads asking this same question????

could you tell us

what country you are in - it does make a difference!

whether you are currently a member of one of the PRO's ASCAP/BMI/Etc.

Speaking of copyrighting beats, I read somewhere that registering your beats as a collection might bite you in court but I can't remember why. Maybe @Bandcoach can touch down on that.

Also: Continuing on with the OP's question, lets say hypothetically the op is from Chicago in the US and he's registered with ASCAP.

In the USA regardless of location, register with the Library of Congress, then register with ASCAP, citing your LoC #'s

there are no hidden gotchas to registering as a collection as opposed to singles beyond what slick lawyers will try to make out: that is that the copyright is for the entire collection not the individual songs: as that is not the intention nor effect of the collective copyrighting aspect of on-line registering, it should be thrown out, but it may take an appeal for such a finding to be made (since most lower courts are scared to set precedents)

short version no problems bu you may need to use the legal system effectively to protect your position

In the USA regardless of location, register with the Library of Congress, then register with ASCAP, citing your LoC #'s

there are no hidden gotchas to registering as a collection as opposed to singles beyond what slick lawyers will try to make out: that is that the copyright is for the entire collection not the individual songs: as that is not the intention nor effect of the collective copyrighting aspect of on-line registering, it should be thrown out, but it may take an appeal for such a finding to be made (since most lower courts are scared to set precedents)

short version no problems bu you may need to use the legal system effectively to protect your position

So lemme get this straight.... even though the producer has proven that the beat was his - because he registered it among a collection versus registering it as an individual song he may have a separate battle to fight in court after he proves infringement in his favor?

Also: Hip Hop beatmakers tend to refer to themselves as "Producers" when theoretically all they have done is "made a beat" vs producing an entire song - What title should they use when they register their beat(s)?

Last edited:
comes back to how slick the lawyer tries to be - it will only take the first one to be beaten for it to stop though - the precedents set by higher courts usually filter down pretty quickly into the operating strategies of every legal team fighting such stuff

as for what a beatsmith should call themselves for the purposes of registration: composer is the term for someone who creates music or poetry or stories these days

Also: Hip Hop beatmakers tend to refer to themselves as "Producers" when theoretically all they have done is "made a beat" vs producing an entire song - What title should they use when they register their beat(s)?

It doesn't matter what you call yourself. Producer, beat makers, writer, creator...etc If it's your work, it's your work.

Last edited:
so If I'm from Canada do I just have to do date the work somehow since there is no registration process like in the US?

so If I'm from Canada do I just have to do date the work somehow since there is no registration process like in the US?

it always comes back to what is the dominant method in your jurisdiction - certainly register them with a PRO to ensure that you get your performance and publishing royalties, this will also serve to protect your interests in other jurisdictions, as it shows the courts your intent to protect your rights

always make a copy that includes the phrasing

I, insert-name-here, assert my moral rights to be acknowledged as the author/composer/creator of this work and date it

Back