Contacted by a manager...need help.

ClydeJacobs

A couple weeks ago I was contacted by a girl about my beats and she wants me to be the producer of her album which will be sent to a record company. I agreed. This week, I was contacted by her manager and she said that I would get a percentage of all sells. My only question is shouldn't I sign a contract or something first? They didn't say what percentage I'd be getting payed or anything. I'm new to this, so I don't know the process. Please help with any information you can give me. Thanks!

1st off I hope you got all ur shit copyrighted......

2nd i hope u didn't send them ur instrumentals already.

they need some paperwork

I consider it unfair to not specify the percentages... and it's not professional also.
Seems to me (I hope I am wrong) they're just trying to get some tracks for free.
I would ask to have all of the conditions written down.
Also I assume you're not getting paid anything upfront: so if you want to avoid wasting hours/days of your time on that, I would research about who these people are and their careers.
That's to be sure that once the tracks are released they don't go dead on a itunes link or youtube video that nobody cares for, which would mean you basically worked for free.

Here are the questions that you need answers to.

1. What percentage of the publishing will I get?

2. What percentage of the revenue generated from the masters will I get and if they press, how many points will I get?

3. What percentage of mechanical royalties will I get?

If you are talented enough don't ask any questions because and when they go to a label and get offered something you'll be in a very good negotiating position because if they want to use them they'll have to come to u to negotiate the terms and you'll be able to name your terms.

Back