Was considering Full Sail or Similar? (Long thread, Serious shit)

AG Beats

Ok let me start by saying this. I will not pursue anything but my heart's desire. I will not mindlessly pursue some other stupid shit when music is all I love. I've already tried. Was in college for business, eventually decided I might want to be an accountant (got an A in ACT101) then decided to change AGAIN to a computer oriented major....I dropped out before I even went back. I'm 19 years old turn 20 this September. I would have no problem going to college or a trade school or anything like that. I am VERY smart and intelligent. But my heart is not in anything but music. It's the only thing that's been a consistent hobby throughout pretty much my entire life. This is the ONLY thing that I can see myself being happy doing. If God himself floated through my bedroom window and said Alex, you will NEVER make a single dime off music I would continue to make music. So don't tell me "go to a real school and learn a real skill".....music IS real. Music is very very deep and I might even argue that music saved my life. This is what I love. Of course I wanna be rich and have a nice crib and nice car and everything but honestly if I could just make music for the rest of my life and live meagerly I'd be happy. And that's what's truly important. So that being said, what would you guys suggest? I'm not 100% opposed to engineering/recording and mastering and what not, but really I love to make beats/produce lol. I have a great vision for songs. If I could get in with some major artists on my beats I know we could make some BANGERS/Street Classics/Hits. The bottom line is that I just would like to get some kind of stable career in music. No offense to anyone but I eventually wanna be more than just an internet producer. I was thinking of doing some kind of "Music Business" program would be a good step to getting my foot in the door, and I'd be happy getting any kind of music job so I could say hey you know I make beats too.....and go from there all the while pursuing my online shit like I have been. Everyone talking shit on Full Sail seems like people who got into the shit for the wrong reasons, but also there seem to be some valid arguments against the school. What are some other schools with these types of programs that offer job placements? I've heard the name Berklee before..? I'm a very positive "pursue your dreams" type person and honestly I'm in a position to do that, with supportive parents. So hate me for that if you want. And I don't mean "I have mommy and daddy's money to spend" by saying that. I'll be taking loans out for whatever I do. We arent dirt poor but just trust we're not near rich. I'm very talented, and I wanna keep getting better and better. Thing is talent isn't even the half of it in this industry, we all know that. I KNOW I could be successful. Im putting my trust in God that I'll find a way to get where I wanna be, but if anyone has some valuable advice I'm willing to hear it all. Just understand that music is why I was put on this earth. Point blank period. Like I said I won't do anything else. I flat out refuse too. If I die chasing this dream i give no ****. This is what I'm here for. I know hardly anyone does this shit for the love anymore, and just about everyone is scared to pursue what they really wanna do, but I just wanna stress the fact that music is flowing through my body. I know a large majority of members on this site will not understand this. I'm not claiming to be a Beethoven or some sort of musical genius, but they say you gotta do what you love. And for me that's definitely music so I'm asking for some direction from anyone that has experienced any form of success. I just wanna do something I can put my all into.

---------- Post added at 06:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:32 AM ----------

I tried to be pretty specific and provide some background about myself, but feel free to ask questions. I'm just looking for some guidance though I know hardly anyone here can provide it. There are some people in great positions on here though. I swear man If some artist just flew me out, fed me, and housed me I'd make them as many beats as I could lmao. Here's one of my most recent beats.

Youtube and the process of compressing the video and making that audio spectrum for it really shitted on quality. The 256kbps WAV of this sounds really good.

Last edited:
SAE or MIT (Musician's Institute of Technology)

Thanks I'll research them today. One thing though I can make some pretty decent music, still have a lot of theory to learn, but Im not very good at actually PLAYING yet....if you know what I mean. I'm definitely a computer producer lol but I've been kinda working on the piano/keyboard here and there. Learning theory really helps

--------

Damn BC, thank you so much. I only JUST started but MIT looks really sick! Guaranteed internship, I like that. Now I just gotta decide do I wanna go the business route or the engineering route. It's a tough decision. I feel like I can learn the engineering myself to an extent though. Or let the engineers handle my mixes/masters and if I have a solid grounding in business.......ahhhh its just so frustrating. There's no real clear path to doing this lol but that makes it that much better at the same time.

Last edited:
MIT has had nothing but good reviews down under.

SAE started in Sydney and a friend was part of their first program, so I saw the facilities and knew the ins and outs. They have only gotten better over teh last 35 years......

MIT has had nothing but good reviews down under.

SAE started in Sydney and a friend was part of their first program, so I saw the facilities and knew the ins and outs. They have only gotten better over teh last 35 years......

You seriously are a blessing man. I'm still on MIT site right now, I'll probably check into SAE next. I wish I would have done this type of stuff from the jump instead of just trying to satisfy the rest of the world but hey there's no better time than now. Just watched a student talk about MIT and man this is kicking Full Sail's ass lol

---------- Post added at 07:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:38 AM ----------

wow and it's WAYYYY less expensive for the Music Business program lol

I've heard great things about SAE/MIT/Berklee/Pyramind. My friend just finished finished pyramind not to long ago and is already working with disney (no prior exp)

I normally don't list certificate training, but there are some great people coming out from them lately. I'd still rec a degree (just me)

I've heard great things about SAE/MIT/Berklee/Pyramind. My friend just finished finished pyramind not to long ago and is already working with disney (no prior exp)

I normally don't list certificate training, but there are some great people coming out from them lately. I'd still rec a degree (just me)

See the thing is though I will admit I'm not much of a "musician". I started guitar at 12 but I was a hard headed little shit back then and refused any and all lessons lol. I then proceeded to memorize my favorite songs and think I was the shit.

All the degree programs in music seem to be for those who want to perform and stuff. I'm not saying I wouldn't love to play the piano like Horowitz or the horn like Miles, but....idk I think you guys can see what I'm saying. I kinda just wanna make beats. I've always had an interest in business, so I think a "music business" type thing is just what I need. Im still looking into the MIT but after that I'll check into SAE and the others.

I just wanna thank you two for responding. I know I'm giddy and excited or whatever, it's just that my whole life I never set any goals and I never pursued anything until this past year and it makes me feel really good. I've always had a smart mind and a good heart but I was just going down some very wrong roads. It's tough when hardly anyone in the world can understand a passion for music, let alone a passion in general but I've been doing a lot of work on myself this past year getting over depression and stress and a lot of things. So just the little nudge you two have given me in the right direction is so major for me. Seriously I know all you did was say some names I probably could have found on my own but it really means a whole lot to me.

Yeah definitely. Man, this is a tough choice between MIT and SAE. SAE has some closer locations to me, and one of them being in Atlanta. I love that down south stuff, so maybe thats the way to go. I see they offer a "beat lab" type thing. But like I said I think I can handle learning how to make beats, I think I need to go into the business side so I can have a more stable career while still striving for placements or whatever.

Just make sure you'll be able to afford the living expenses at the Musicians Institute. They don't have dorms so you have to live off campus and Hollywood isn't cheap.

Just make sure you'll be able to afford the living expenses at the Musicians Institute. They don't have dorms so you have to live off campus and Hollywood isn't cheap.

Yeah it's true. I'm thinking SAE Atlanta right now. I talked to a guy from there already and requested info from the site about a "Vanguard Scholarship" which supposedly offers full coverage. Trying to make moves on everything ASAP. Gonna have to get some loans most likely but Im really not worried about that.

If you did go to Musicians Institute, when would you attend the school? I was considering going for music business, but the only roommate I could find was set on living at one of the luxurious apartments and I couldn't afford it.

If you did go to Musicians Institute, when would you attend the school? I was considering going for music business, but the only roommate I could find was set on living at one of the luxurious apartments and I couldn't afford it.

I'm pretty deadset on SAE Atlanta bro. Reason being is because that's the genre I LOVE! That's where a large majority of my favorite artists go through to record and where a lot of artists in the style of beats that I like to make most come out of.

The dude from the ATL campus dropped Patchwerk as a place that some students have went too. I realize I'm not guaranteed anything but I know I can get some sort of internship somewhere out there, and then drop by all these studios with my music. I've always thought "man, maybe I should move out to atlanta since that's where the music I make basically came from (dirty south) etc.".

First I gotta get like two more classes from my community college though so I can be accepted into the Associates Degree program at SAE. That's another thing I like, its an accredited associates! Plus man Ive been to the south a few times and I like it down there. And it's closer to my home. So right now that's my goal.

I plan to use all federal grants and scholarships I can for the school, but I'm gonna have to take out loans for living expenses. I plan on going and living by myself in a small apartment as close to SAE as I can find, but if we get to know eachother and you don't seem like someone I couldn't stand, I'd be down to split rent and maybe with could both go out to SAE. But obviously we'd wanna communicate and stuff/get to know eachother before we did something like that. I'd hate to be stuck with an ******* and you never know u might think im an ******* lol. Hopefully you get what I'm sayin.

I plan to be down in ATL at this school by sometime around september though. I just gotta knock these two classes out this summer at my CC and then go and figure the money situation out.

I don't produce music so I'm not interested in SAE and I'm not really looking into the Musicians Institute anymore, just keeping it open as an option in case I don't get into grad school.

I don't produce music so I'm not interested in SAE and I'm not really looking into the Musicians Institute anymore, just keeping it open as an option in case I don't get into grad school.

Cool, was just throwing it out there. Hope grad school goes well for you that stuff is tough work! lol I guess it's not for someone who loves that stuff though.

Back