Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Confused about selling beats

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    East coast MD
    Posts
    1,400
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Confused about selling beats

    Sign in to disable this ad
    Ok, so I feel that I am getting closer and closer to start being about to have beats good enough to sell. I may not be quite ready yet, but Im in that pre-developing stage where Im trying to already be ready when the time comes. I read over a few stickies here, and I understand the basics of a copy right, and that I have my music copyrighted as soon as I save it.

    My plan is to start my own website. Just a simple little thing with some beat previews and some sort of payment option. Thats what I need to find out.

    Should I just make my beats bla bla put the ones I want to sell up for prices, then when an artist wants to buy rights (a license right?) get it registered, and contact a lawyer to draft up a licensing contract? Im only 18 and not big time so would the online contracts the one guy says to avoid generally do ok for me, and I should only actually worry about it with artists who are major? Or have a potential to somehow **** me? Shit is confusing haha thanks for any help anyone can throw out theeereeee

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Missouri City, TX
    Posts
    1,723
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    I suggest simply finding people to collaborate with online. If you make beats, then your first order of business should be to collaborate with rappers online. Don't worry about contracts right out of the gate. Honestly, all you need to protect your financial interest on future collaborations copyright papers (filed with the Library of Congress) and beats worth stealing.

    As far as a website is concerned, I must make you aware of this fact. Websites are only profitable if they're seen as value to the people who visit it. What kind of responses are you getting from total strangers? Are you even asking for feedback from the online music community, or are you kind of winging it? I'm listening to you YouTube channel and like what I'm hearing. I also noticed that your channel views were kind of low.

    Are you working with anyone else that take music releases as serious as you? A website would definitely benefit you, once you're ready to start seeing your music as being worth selling. I strongly recommend that you create a soundcloud account asap. They have the absolute best platform for submitting music online. Seriously, you should jump on board and start putting out online demos. I can set you with a nice website when you're ready.

    You're obviously going to need to log in more online hours; that is, assuming you want to build the kind of relationships that are worth having. I'm guessing that's the reason your channel views are low. I dunno... either way, best of luck to you.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    East coast MD
    Posts
    1,400
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ProducerJC View Post
    I suggest simply finding people to collaborate with online. If you make beats, then your first order of business should be to collaborate with rappers online. Don't worry about contracts right out of the gate. Honestly, all you need to protect your financial interest on future collaborations copyright papers (filed with the Library of Congress) and beats worth stealing.

    As far as a website is concerned, I must make you aware of this fact. Websites are only profitable if they're seen as value to the people who visit it. What kind of responses are you getting from total strangers? Are you even asking for feedback from the online music community, or are you kind of winging it? I'm listening to you YouTube channel and like what I'm hearing. I also noticed that your channel views were kind of low.

    Are you working with anyone else that take music releases as serious as you? A website would definitely benefit you, once you're ready to start seeing your music as being worth selling. I strongly recommend that you create a soundcloud account asap. They have the absolute best platform for submitting music online. Seriously, you should jump on board and start putting out online demos. I can set you with a nice website when you're ready.

    You're obviously going to need to log in more online hours; that is, assuming you want to build the kind of relationships that are worth having. I'm guessing that's the reason your channel views are low. I dunno... either way, best of luck to you.
    OH yeah bro, i definatly got a lot of work to do. Shit, I wouldnt even sell a single beat I put out so far. Really I'm just trying to like get a headstart on learning a little of the business side that way I dont have a whole nother stepping stone when I do feel my beats are ready. Why do you say soundcloud vs youtube? Also, my channel views are low cause I dont really promote that hardcore just cause Im a beginner and theres really nothing out of the ordinary on there. Shit, half the beats I did I went about mixing entirely wrong. But yeah its just all so much. Like, what if i make a sample beat. Do I have to go to the people I sampled and get licenses from them, or since i made it from complete scratch does it count as an original idea? Ive had one rapper rap over one of my beats but hes just local in my small town and doesnt really have a whole whole lot of fans. I mean, the song got more than 500 likes in like a day or two but either way im not taking that too seriously, I just wanted to hear someone on a beat of mine.

    I just dont understand all the contracts and why everyone says a lawyer is must have. I think maybe that comes down to leasing. I feel like if i just sold an artist at a set price and was like yeah once you pay x amount of money the song is yours and you can do whatever you want with it then what more is there? Its just that every video from prominent producers or artists or even people who have been sucessful on here, theyre like the main important thing is have a good lawyer and make sure this and that. Like I just dont know. I guess I need to do more reading.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Missouri City, TX
    Posts
    1,723
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Why do you say soundcloud vs youtube?
    It's not about one or the other because the to companies are not in competition with each other. YouTube is used best displaying videos while SoundCloud allows visitors to list to music. Think of SoundCloud as the audio version of YouTube. There are a bunch of producers who upload their beats to YouTube because it's free. But, SoundCloud is a better platform for music and music makers.

    I suggest creating a SoundCloud and interacting the people who genuinely like listening to an leaving comments on music.

    Also, my channel views are low cause I dont really promote that hardcore just cause Im a beginner and there's really nothing out of the ordinary on there.
    The key to improvement is feedback from others. Therefore, if you don't promote your music, how can you get sufficient feedback? Everyone wants to get in the business, but only a few have the courage or stamina to pull it off. Don't procrastinate on accomplishing your goals, too many people do that already. Ask people for the feedback, and then go back to them when the adjustments are made. Success is in you hands.

    Like, what if i make a sample beat. Do I have to go to the people I sampled and get licenses from them, or since i made it from complete scratch does it count as an original idea?
    Thinking in terms of "what if" doesn't really get you anywhere in terms of accomplishment. I suggest making original beats until you understand the business well enough to get sample clearances. There are plenty of threads to read regarding this question. Do your research...

    BTW, congrats on the 500 likes!

    I just wanted to hear someone on a beat of mine.
    Don't become a victim of the wishful thinking of most Hip Hop artist. Charge for your beats and be selective when choosing artist to work with. If you decide to collaborate with an artist on a joint income venture, make sure that you know exactly what you want and contact a lawyer for contract requirements.

    I feel like if i just sold an artist at a set price and was like yeah once you pay x amount of money the song is yours and you can do whatever you want with it then what more is there?
    Give this a shot and see if it gets you where you want to be. If you're happy and their happy, everyone wins. But most producers would like to get their dues from unit sales. It take a tone of time and money to make beats. Don't short changes yourself just because you don't understand the value of good music.

    It seems like you want to know more about entertainment law. Open google and do a search for attorneys. After that, write done all of your questions and start calling. It's that simple...

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    East coast MD
    Posts
    1,400
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ProducerJC View Post
    It's not about one or the other because the to companies are not in competition with each other. YouTube is used best displaying videos while SoundCloud allows visitors to list to music. Think of SoundCloud as the audio version of YouTube. There are a bunch of producers who upload their beats to YouTube because it's free. But, SoundCloud is a better platform for music and music makers.

    I suggest creating a SoundCloud and interacting the people who genuinely like listening to an leaving comments on music.



    The key to improvement is feedback from others. Therefore, if you don't promote your music, how can you get sufficient feedback? Everyone wants to get in the business, but only a few have the courage or stamina to pull it off. Don't procrastinate on accomplishing your goals, too many people do that already. Ask people for the feedback, and then go back to them when the adjustments are made. Success is in you hands.



    Thinking in terms of "what if" doesn't really get you anywhere in terms of accomplishment. I suggest making original beats until you understand the business well enough to get sample clearances. There are plenty of threads to read regarding this question. Do your research...

    BTW, congrats on the 500 likes!



    Don't become a victim of the wishful thinking of most Hip Hop artist. Charge for your beats and be selective when choosing artist to work with. If you decide to collaborate with an artist on a joint income venture, make sure that you know exactly what you want and contact a lawyer for contract requirements.



    Give this a shot and see if it gets you where you want to be. If you're happy and their happy, everyone wins. But most producers would like to get their dues from unit sales. It take a tone of time and money to make beats. Don't short changes yourself just because you don't understand the value of good music.

    It seems like you want to know more about entertainment law. Open google and do a search for attorneys. After that, write done all of your questions and start calling. It's that simple...
    I really appreciate your detailed replies. Theres a lot of good answers in there. I try to post my music on here a lot for feed back but it seems like its always dope beat bruh really like it, check out bla bla. But I just need to expand and be more active about it, which you stated. Also, thats a very valid point about soundcloud. Totally makes sense.

    Thanks again for your time!!!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Missouri City, TX
    Posts
    1,723
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by alxgry View Post
    I really appreciate your detailed replies. Theres a lot of good answers in there. I try to post my music on here a lot for feed back but it seems like its always dope beat bruh really like it, check out bla bla. But I just need to expand and be more active about it, which you stated. Also, thats a very valid point about soundcloud. Totally makes sense.

    Thanks again for your time!!!
    Anytime, and good luck in the future. Lock my into your phone book and let me know if I can be of assistance. Just follow the link below for my contact info.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •