checking the reliability of a label

Bamm!Bamm!

so I've been sending out demo's and I've got a few labels who are interested but I've checked online to see if there safe and everyone seems ok with them (no Plasmapool like problems at least) but i just wanted to know when it goes for sale on Beatport etc how i would check the sales, do online stores let the artist have a login to see the sales or anything and make sure I'm getting paid the right amount I'm not expecting a lot i just don't want to get screwed over this early on. I'm tottaly new to this so any advice around this subject would help loads

If you are signing an actual agreement with a label, independent, major, or otherwise, you need to be aware of items in the contract agreement called "accounting clauses," which address the very questions that you are asking. In other words, "How do I know what you're reporting to me re: sales is correct? Am I just supposed to take your word for it?" That's what you're really asking the label. And they should have answers, that will be outlined in their accounting clauses. If they do not have this in your agreement paperwork, then you need to get it put in, with all of the specifics (too much to go into here; go to the library and get some music business books).

If they say something like "What are accounting clauses?", run.

GJ

Back