Can Somebody Tell Me How Exclusives Work?

thebriando

Someone is interested in purchasing exclusives rights for one of my beats but the problem is that I already leased this beat to another person. Can she still buy the exclusive or does she have to purchase a lease?

She is also planning on distributing her music through iTunes so how does the profit get split?

Last edited:
Since you have already leased the beat out to someone, you cannot sell it again as exclusive, as it won't be exclusive.

It is possible to sell a beat exclusively that has already been leased. It's done all the time. Not saying it's the best method, but I would recommend telling the artist that the beat has already been leased to another artist and see if the artist still wants it exclusive or just want to lease it. As far as putting it on itunes...you would need to draw out a contract. A contract stating that you sold the beat to artist x for $x.xx exclusively, and stating the percentages in royalties (normally with an artist and producer it's 50/50 for music and lyrics). But I would highly recommend doing some research on your own and think about seeking legal help.

It is possible to sell a beat exclusively that has already been leased. It's done all the time. Not saying it's the best method, but I would recommend telling the artist that the beat has already been leased to another artist and see if the artist still wants it exclusive or just want to lease it. As far as putting it on itunes...you would need to draw out a contract. A contract stating that you sold the beat to artist x for $x.xx exclusively, and stating the percentages in royalties (normally with an artist and producer it's 50/50 for music and lyrics). But I would highly recommend doing some research on your own and think about seeking legal help.
Thanks for the advice man. She already knows that someone else has leased the beat but she is still interested in purchasing the exclusive.

Get an advance (don't sell) them the exclusive rights to the master and exclusive use of the performance copyright.

Has anyone heard of someone going to court over a leased beat contract?

You did your part by letting them know about the lease.

Has the person you leased the beat to exploited the work? Did they local regional nation or global sales? Have they spent money publishing the work?

These are all questions that would be asked when determining who has the right to the work

Back