Can Sample-Based Producers Be Successful?

DaVillain

Is there even a market for sample based producers now? I feel like everyone tries to avoid them because of the legal issues nowadays.

I feel like everyone tries to avoid them because of the legal issues nowadays.

like who?

sampling exists everywhere, theres a commercial advertising high speed internet that features a an ennio moricone sampled beat
it plays everyday.
the highest selling hiphop album in 2014 was very sample heavy. j cole.
rick ross, jayz, kanye built careers off samples.

People also confuse themselves into thinking records with no samples still don't take from other records(interpolations), or have 4-10 writers/producers put their touch on them and have the same payout system.

These are nothing more than the expenses of recordings. The only time any of these become legal issues is when things aren't taken care of before record's releases. That can range from a sample not being cleared to a producer not meeting an agreement, to a song sounding too similar to another, to someone who's voice is off in the background because of a bad take that was usable or only giving minuscule input like "that last kick should be removed" feeling their contributions made the song a success. There's a chance of any of these incidents anytime music is released, not just with samples.

If you've ever been to a beat battle then you've probably seen the effect that sample based can have on people.

In the past, I've been at some pretty dope beat battles and cats would be playing all kinds of hot beats (trap, dirty south,etc) and then that soul sample based track comes on and *boom* the whole room lights up.... Everybody is feelin it. You can see it. Its dope.

There's a certain feeling you get with them soul sample based beats that will always make them relevant.

Especially in Hip Hop.

Is there even a market for sample based producers now? I feel like everyone tries to avoid them because of the legal issues nowadays.

What.

Hip hop was practically made off samples.

And I don't really know what you mean by legal issues nowadays. It's not like sample clearing is something that's come about in the past 4 years.

I mentioned this in another thread. Sample clearing is a longer process, and the owner can take more money compared to composing something similar in sound. Its common for producers to use the sample for production, but get rejected on clearance. Now that work just becomes your personal art collection.

Back