can one make money in the music industry without the "fame"?

prodeucer

Let's say I'm Mr. Know it All and know the ins and outs of the music business and FM radio; Let's say I have the songs and the music that radio wants and know how to get it on radio (for radio royalties). Is it possible to make money this way without being a "celebrity"? Just having the songs rotated regularly? Or does radio not cater to no-name artists, just "hit songs" or songs that had to go through the "Billboard charts" (which I think determines what gets played on radio due to the "charts"). Music directors I would assume would look at what people are buying so they know what people may want to hear on the FM radio.

Kinda like the stock market, anyone can make millions there if you know what you're doing without having the fame of someone like Warren Buffet, right?

I would assume radio does not work quite like this? Then again if your song is getting played on every radio in the U.S. that would equate to fame (but one can be anonymous/recluse if they choose).

See below, let's say that's how many radio stations would play your songs:

"Counties: As of 2013, the United States has 3,007 counties and 137 county equivalents for a total of 3,144 counties and county equivalents.Cities and towns: According to the U.S. Census Bureau, there are 19,354 "incorporated places" in the United States."

Let's say there's 20,000 radio stations in the U.S. and they all play your songs, wouldn't that generate some good royalties just from radio? Let's say those 20,000 radio stations paid 1 penny per playing your songs daily; wouldn't that generate $2K per day? Just assumptions here.

Let's say I have a variety of songs that could fit on every genre and every radio stations in the U.S. (from rock to middle America "trucker" music like bluegrass/instrumentals) wouldn't radio royalties make one generate some income?

Last edited:
Back