Can I rap over a instrumental tape i bought on itunes?

mguz11

So i bought Blended Babies- Instrumental tape on Itunes...(super super ill). Can I legally rap over this, and if not how do I get permission?

yeah, you can rap over instrumentals that you buy on itunes. you just can't make copies or republish them. i suggest you work with a producer who can reproduce instrumentals that you rap over. that way, you can publish your own work in instead of other people's.

Yes. I put out 2 instrumental tapes for this vary reason. However, I get about 10 emails a month with people using the same beat... always better to get those exclusives if you wanna stand out.

You can rap over it as long as there is no monetary gain from it. You'll need their permission for that. If not you are committing copyright infringement.

Last edited:
You can rap over it as long as there is no monetary gain from it. You'll need their permission for that. If not you are committing copyright infringement.

Only if that is expressed in their terms, simply uploading a video with you rapping over someone's beat is technically illegal. It's still distributing their work without consent. Best thing to do is get permission. They probably have a website that offers leasing options that they'll most likely redirect you to.

Only if that is expressed in their terms, simply uploading a video with you rapping over someone's beat is technically illegal. It's still distributing their work without consent. Best thing to do is get permission. They probably have a website that offers leasing options that they'll most likely redirect you to.

Notice I said no monetary gain. Youtube allows you to monetize videos. But you're right uploading to a video site is considered a public performance and would not be allowed.

Note the most recent issue with Mac Miller, who's being sued for 10 mil because he rapped over a known w/o permission. even better, the track was on a mixtape that came out before he became known.

Back