Buzz, Name, Mixtapes, Selling?

ICEN

Punchline God
I'm sure this has been covered but I made this thread because I have my own questions that may not be in the forum somewhere or harder for me to find.

Okay so basically I'm a rap artist/writer that has decided to take my game up to the next level so tomorrow will be ordering tons of equipment to record quality work. I am not focused on the internet so I do not want this thread to be focused about internet fame or anything to do with online. I am wanting to know how to get my name known locally and had a few questions.

First off if it matters I do live in the projects but my music is not all about being gangster and stuff I am more of a lyrical rapper and like to have fun with metaphors, similes, punchlines, rhyme scheme ect. I need to formulate a plan to start making a buzz from scratch.

My problem is I don't know what I should do when it comes to selling material or giving it out for free. I was planning on maybe getting tracks recorded on a mixtape burning the cd and giving it for free to only some people around where I live or thats closest to home just to start to get a name around my streets ect. Some people know that I rap but I think I need to get my cd's out to everyone in my hood if you will. I don't like to say hood because thats not something I consider being proud of or bragging about but I'm guessing it would make alot of sense to have a foundation at least around my area where I live to start out.

So my problem is what should I do when it comes to the distribution and selling of cd's to get my name out. Should I give cd's out freely because I am not known yet or should I at least sell them for a small price? I didn't know wither to make mixtapes or a demo but I guess that these days mixtapes would be more suited for street cred maybe?

I also didn't know if I should go all out on my 1st mixtape and put like 12-17 tracks or should I only put a few songs on cd to get my name out. I know that I have to get the cd in peoples hands that is a no brainer but I am confused on which way to go about it.

My brain is stuck on this :
MIXTAPES or DEMO or Something else
To sell or not to sell?

I just need a foundation where I can start a buzz going around. I also wondered if I should buy a printer and print covers/labels on the cd's when handing them out and if I should put my number on the cd.

Back