Buying your way into the industry

Unstoppabels

Rapper/Producer
I hear more and more that artists are buying their way into the industry. Each time I hear it, it confuses me more and more about what this really means. Are they buying connections some how? Buying features? Buying your way into the industry is a very broad explanation, anyone care to elaborate? Thanks
-Revency

yeah, it confuses me to. maybe they contact people who offer them prices to use studio equipment or something like that, i don't know.

When I think of that, I kind of think of people who are in places that execs frequent and have some other connection that artists and execs use thus building relationships with them. Then using that relationship to peddle a product thats not that great but because of their connections they get opportunities others might not with the same quality songs. So in a way its just networking, in a grimy way though haha.

When I think of that, I kind of think of people who are in places that execs frequent and have some other connection that artists and execs use thus building relationships with them. Then using that relationship to peddle a product thats not that great but because of their connections they get opportunities others might not with the same quality songs. So in a way its just networking, in a grimy way though haha.

couldn't have said it better!;)

Buying your way into the business means just what the statement entails.People use money as a tool to see the next level in their careers. This means paying for contacts, contracts, equipment, resources, services, production, etc.

Moreso than ever, it means you can walk into a label, say you want to pay them to put out your album and coming to an agreement.

Universal, Koch/E1, and Subs of Warner Bros were once infamous for putting you out if you went to them with money to push yourself.

You cover all costs and give them a percentage for the resources they provide(links to artists/producers, getting your vids on TV/Vevo, ect, Radio/iTunes play, setting you up promotional events/tours). But they just link you, it all comes at the price you pay for the package.

I've always heard rumors, but can't confirm who's really done this. The one that always comes to mind is Won G, lol.

Back