Business Proposals: Who do you direct them to? [TV music]

G

Alright so Im trying to get all the information needed for a business proposition to different companies. Basically I just want to provide the music or jingle to their radio ad or tv commercial. Some thoughts came up though.
Who do I ask to propose this business venture? Would it be the store manager?

What is the average price for something like this? Are these songs exclusive to that company?

If I write a proposal what should it entail?

If you have experience in this type of situation I'd greatly appreciate it if you could share. The businesses I plan on contacting are big and small. New ones who are under devolpment and will need marketing to make their brand known.

Alright so Im trying to get all the information needed for a business proposition to different companies. Basically I just want to provide the music or jingle to their radio ad or tv commercial. Some thoughts came up though.
Who do I ask to propose this business venture? Would it be the store manager?

What is the average price for something like this? Are these songs exclusive to that company?

If I write a proposal what should it entail?

If you have experience in this type of situation I'd greatly appreciate it if you could share. The businesses I plan on contacting are big and small. New ones who are under devolpment and will need marketing to make their brand known.

Creating a business proposal is similar to creating a business plan however there are varying nuances depending on the type of proposal prepared. Some things you'll definitely need to include in the proposal

What you're bringing to the table?

What are the benefits of your service?

A Cost vs Value analysis

and

Why they should choose you? <= must be specific!

Give as much detail as possible to show how you'll be affecting their bottom line.

You'll want to typically contact the head of their marketing department( but that's not always the case). However, You may not be able to contact them due to the nature of their schedule. You may have to find other people such as a secretary or assistant to see if you can get your foot in the door.

As far as prices and your rights are concerned that's typically negotiated. Also keep in mind that you'll likely need lots of songs on tap already (thousands preferably). You'll want to have them categorized as well (Bpm, mood, feeling, brief description).

The companies often times will need music on demand as well so be sure you have access to all the tools and resources you need to quickly prepare a jingle or song that fits exactly what they are looking for.

What your are trying to do is present yourself as a music solution (a music library of sorts). You will need to have all your t's crossed and i's dotted when you're preparing for this type of endeavor.

Hope that gives you a little more insight.

Last edited:
great response sir

I plan on writing several different proposals to audio(software and hardware companies) as well to local companies that I want to be able to use their products and services at a "whole sale/lower rental price" so I have to convince them what the value is for them to do so. To create a network of go to companies that sell or offer rental items I need to run my Christian party/dance events/single gathering division of my business.

watch the series of videos

this is more of what I want to do now then move on to more business to business proposals

hope this is additional help sir
make sure you know who you're going to be talking/giving your proposal before you even enter the building
and be ready to do a presentation in front of the owner or managers
and have a elevator pitch ready (so when you're in front of that person they know how you are,what your,and who your customer base is)
this is mines
"Hello sir/Ma'am" or Mr/Ms/Mrs. (if you know there last name hopefully you will)
My Antonio Baugh and I founded Holy lamb Media Ent. because
there are countless independent music labels,artists and producers who are trying to take advantage of the new music market. These independent music companies and individuals need research, information gathering assistance along with training, and direction to attain those goals. This is where I come into play providing services as The Walking On Water Media/Ent. Business Coach.

I have several different pitches depending on what services or products I have
you can transform your company's mission statement into a pitch statement of segments of it

should be less than 20 max 30 seconds

Music Business Professional Read Their Tips
Elite Services for those Who Want to Attain their Goals
Research and Information Gathering Expert
Building Relationships to Build Success
Get the Information and Direction You Deserve
The Walking On Water Media/Ent. Business Coach Antonio​

---------- Post added at 06:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:51 PM ----------

I forgot to mention if you want to get your music on tv shows,indie films,commerical
you should for sure look up music supervisors on twitter and develop a geniune business and more personal relationship with them
try to get a face to face meeting if in the same city
you should offer a free lunch meeting and mention the place you want to take them to(upscale).
(you can do this with any indiviual you want to build a relationship with DJs,Music Journalist) gives you at least 20-30 mins. to talk to them.

back to the music supervisors on twitter
if not in the same city as them continue to message them on tweeter include links to your music without saying anything about the link and why it's there it should be you sign. in your tweets

and then click on their website usually everyone has a website in their profile send a message to them through their contact tab and include your phone number and additional contact information and again a link to your main music page.
and focus the message on "you would like to talk to them on the phone and why you want to build a relationship with them and why a relationship with you is valuable to them"

they won't feel threaten because they have the power as they have your phone# and you don't have theirs'
so they will either call you or they won't

let them know what your business hours are
and have a business message recorded for your voice mail usually on a cell phone so you're more accessible

you can read here on cold calling

you might want to invest in a e-press kit as well
or that link to your music has to have who you are and what you're about and include that you're sound designer who places his music in media outlets such as video games,indie films,and commercials

offer to do some of these for free for up and coming indie video game developers,film directors(who are usually their own music supervisor), and emerging advertising agencies
just to build up your credibility and portfolio so it's there for the music supervisor to see what you have done

Last edited:
Great advice from both of you. I've got some research to do and more music to make. Where I'm at there isn't a market for it. It just seems like the music is there, but where is it coming from? Especailly the local stores/shops not nesccecarily mcdonalds and chains because they have huge corporations with peopel to handle that.

Great advice from both of you. I've got some research to do and more music to make. Where I'm at there isn't a market for it. It just seems like the music is there, but where is it coming from? Especailly the local stores/shops not nesccecarily mcdonalds and chains because they have huge corporations with peopel to handle that.

I believe the market is there, it just isn't as obvious as others. Small to mid size Local businesses who advertise on television/radio could be one of your prime targets. They often need music to place in their ads but don't necessarily have the pull or budget of major corporations. Try contacting them. You may not get tons of cash but it will help you build credibility and your music resume.

Great! I guess my biggest thing was who I would ask to speak to. If I walk into Mcdonalds the store manager probably has no clue about the marketing/promotion side of things. Def. going to look more into it. A few years ago I had a cople opps to write music for cold stone ice cream, but it didn't go through (my lack of knowledge).

Great! I guess my biggest thing was who I would ask to speak to. If I walk into Mcdonalds the store manager probably has no clue about the marketing/promotion side of things. Def. going to look more into it. A few years ago I had a cople opps to write music for cold stone ice cream, but it didn't go through (my lack of knowledge).

It will likely be someone in their marketing department. However, also consider that some companies outsource those types of marketing endeavors. You may approach a place like cold stone creamery and then end up having to deal with an ad agency managing their campaigns. I would suggest placing a phone call to the local business and/or meeting with someone in the marketing dept. If you have the time, simply ask questions about their processes. In this way, you can get a feel for how they do business in regards to music. Don't come off as a salesman off the bat. Just see if you can build a working relationship to gain knowledge about how they do business. This should be able to give you a better idea as how to approach other companies too.

Back