Business Advice

J_WONDER3000

J_WONDER3000
I know this questions has been posted before, but I cannot find it.

So I have an artist and an artist who can produce who wants to work with me. My place would be ghost writing and producing. Since I respect them both, in what way should I construct a contract?

Both artists will use what I am writing and what they write, and the artist who also produces may co-produce on some tracks. Just want to be fair and upfront about how to split up any income generated as we will be working on projects. Also, anything else I should put on on the table so that no one is surprised or feels cheated?

Simply asking for advice to prevent future headaches.

I know this questions has been posted before, but I cannot find it.

So I have an artist and an artist who can produce who wants to work with me. My place would be ghost writing and producing. Since I respect them both, in what way should I construct a contract?

Both artists will use what I am writing and what they write, and the artist who also produces may co-produce on some tracks. Just want to be fair and upfront about how to split up any income generated as we will be working on projects. Also, anything else I should put on on the table so that no one is surprised or feels cheated?

Simply asking for advice to prevent future headaches.

I'm not claiming to be an expert by any means.. but here is where i would start.

1/ i would look at copyrights of all currently major hits.. wiki them. (you will notice that like everyone contributes to the song writing.. and some people you have never heard of)
Why? if one mofo tells you this sounds better and replaces a word...done.. he just contributed to the song writing!... same thing goes for production.

2/ All in All you need to have your material copy written.. register with a ascap or bmi and submit your works regularly!!!!!.. every person gets paid differently!!!!!

3/ Look into contracts. there are a bunch of indie contracts that you can download online.. look how they are written... it usually is something along the lines of this..

Artist/Producer/SongWriter... they each get paid an "Advance" and when that song is released. weather that be online, pandora or some other streaming music service they will get paid royalties (if registered with ascap or bmi)...this is where your advance is coming from! so you must pay back the advance in order to start receiving royalty checks.... and they are paid out every quarter.. but Advances are only usually warranted when a major label is involved.. so for you.. i would recommend charging a flat fee for your services + royalties (because you may or may not see any!) make sure you get credit where credit is due!

Producers make the most in royalties because they get mechanical royalties, where artist typically don't.
And this stuff changes but from what i remember the Artist and Songwriters are usually one in the same to an extent.. and get paid around the same.. last time i checked it was like 6cents a play....

Make sure your paper work and contract is looked over with a Entertainment Attorney... and yes i do mean specifically an Entertainment Attorney.. if you get to the point where your getting alot of work... i would look at getting an agent /management to handle all of these things for you, typically they get in the realm of 20-25% of your total income.

P.S this is just my two cents bro.. i work with some people who are semi big indie artist(have done commercials with samsung etc.) ..and they are my good friends.. i'm not going to mention names. btw. the first people that are like i wanna work with you so bad.. can we please work together.. (most of these people are snakes, keep your grass cut bruh) your reputation is as good as the people you work with.. be selective.

Back