Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BMI/Royalty Help?

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by Inspirmentalist View Post
    when i "sold" a beat to an artist that was signed to stones throw. i ended up getting 50 percent of my publishing...i didn't make anything from sales. but i registered the song with ascap and ended up making like 4 dollars lol the song itself got about 50,000 plays on youtube...i know i probably can't capitalize off of that now but yea, it's best to copyright your work and demand some type of payment up front. draw up your own contract and talk with the artist and management to see where you stand.

You have a lot to learn.
    Last edited by Desire Inspires; 07-17-2017 at 07:06 PM.

Thanks
    Now that you are signed up with BMI/ASCAP you need to register your songs. As a beat maker I have always treated all of my beats as if they were complete songs even though there are no lyrics. Once I add the songs to my BMI catalog then I submit them to music licensing services. It's very important to make sure you are consistent with the names you submit to BMI and the name of the beats you submit to be licensed. When that beat is licensed for use it gets reported to BMI and that is how your royalties get generated. If your song names or artist names don't match up then you could potentially loose out on royalties.
    Stop slingin Cds and get paid for real. License those beats.

Thread Information