Berklee College Certificate or Graduate Degree?

JMD_Music

I made a similar thread some time ago about going to school for music business or just reading books. I just applied to CSUN (Cal State University Northridge), as they have a music industry studies graduate program. If I was to get in, not sure if I should go out there (school is in CA and I live in NJ) or just go for the certificate program Berklee College offers online, which is $10,000 cheaper than CSUN for the same amount of time. If I went to Berklee, I'd just move to TN since that is where I'd prefer to live.
I wanna run my own label and not work for one, so I'm not sure if it would still look better having a degree vs a certificate. Any advice on which I should go offer? The program at Berklee is by far more in depth when it comes to music business than the one at CSUN.

You've answered it for yourself with the last comment - Go to Berklee and move to TN /thread

IMO... invest that money into yourself/brand vs. audio engineering school. Get an internship or apprentice under someone. This is the typical and most common path that several of my close engineer friends have taken and do it full time. You can learn the same material on your own with guidance by a well trained mentor/team & you won't accumulate a bunch of debt in the process.

IMO... invest that money into yourself/brand vs. audio engineering school. Get an internship or apprentice under someone. This is the typical and most common path that several of my close engineer friends have taken and do it full time. You can learn the same material on your own with guidance by a well trained mentor/team & you won't accumulate a bunch of debt in the process.

What audio engineering school are you talking about? I never said I wanted to be an engineer.

Yeah man I'd just hit up Berklee. I'm sure they have more connections as it is, and the music industry has never exactly been "degree influenced". Besides, that $10,000 difference you were talking about would probably be your travel expenses alone during your time back & forth in CA. Not worth it IMO.

I just know degrees look better than certificates and I just wasn't sure if an artist I'd want to sign would look at a certificate as something that shows I know what I'm doing.

An artist isn't going to judge you by what they see hanging on your wall. They're gonna judge you by what they hear.

Yeah, I mean by the looks of it Berklee seems as if it would be more geared toward music. CSUN has some courses that I took in college a year ago. Very similar names & descriptions. It's a very general course designed for you to be able to take into any sector of the economy and apply it. If music's truly your passion, I think Berklee is the way to go. Seems very music oriented.

Plus I think you would walk out with plenty of professional contacts at either school. You have to do a cost-benefit analysis for yourself. You're going to fly all the way across the country, just to graduate & then fly all the way back down South lol? Seems a bit unnecessary to me, especially when you have a school the quality of Berklee right in your hands. I don't think t's worth losing sleep quiveling over a degree vs. a certificate. When you think about it either way, these documents prove that you are more than capable of efficiently doing so-and-so.

Yeah, I mean by the looks of it Berklee seems as if it would be more geared toward music. CSUN has some courses that I took in college a year ago. Very similar names & descriptions. It's a very general course designed for you to be able to take into any sector of the economy and apply it. If music's truly your passion, I think Berklee is the way to go. Seems very music oriented.

Plus I think you would walk out with plenty of professional contacts at either school. You have to do a cost-benefit analysis for yourself. You're going to fly all the way across the country, just to graduate & then fly all the way back down South lol? Seems a bit unnecessary to me, especially when you have a school the quality of Berklee right in your hands. I don't think t's worth losing sleep quiveling over a degree vs. a certificate. When you think about it either way, these documents prove that you are more than capable of efficiently doing so-and-so.

Thanks for the advice. If I went to school in CA, I wouldn't just stayed out there. Just wasn't sure if I should be taking classes online for this.

Back