beat selling isnt what it is ' its a myth '

BlazenHotTracks

the good life
When i wanted to sell beats i was enthusiastic at 1st but made no sales with inn 4-6 months of advertising an trying get my exposure with no money , well i thought wrong and had to come to realization my so called dream was cut short of the thought that it does take more than just talent and a lot of effort no i was way ahead of my self till i came across this and it made me realize beat selling is so false ,like trying to be a rapper,your trying to sell yourself and you wonder why you can't enough plays and you can't get enough views, well in reality money makes the world go round, and iff u dont have enough resources you'll be asked out.in other words , you got to pay to play as they say an iff u want to compete with the big dawgs you'll eventually will shell out the cash or stay on the side lines ,playen the waiting game.come to the the conclusion beatmaking and becoming famous infringes on what type of music you try to make to get known,it hinders creativity,depletes your sense of reality an fantasy ,which the majority these producers try to aspire ,i just try to tell those get your mixing skills up to par,focus making music and not selling just make music and stack up your chips iff eventually if u ever want to compete with all these fake google advertisements,soundclick front page ads an all this time spending on the net trying to be known or famous for you music which in reality is not even selling anymore ,music stream has killed the dream because of streaming ,what real artist sells music now, they all give away mixtapes and free beats ,desperate trying to get attention to sell, liquidating there products in order to compete with the market . so shallow and not ethical, but whom am i to judge right ..
so it takes alot more than putting music out there and sharing trust it take a lot of money .
5star beats ebook i came across while experimenting trying sell beats
ISSUU - I Make Over $10,000.00 A Month Selling Beats by Brandon Stewart

Last edited:
From what I've seen over the years, most people entering into the 'beat selling business' have an unrealistic understanding of what 'beat selling' entails.

The bottom line is that selling beats is a sales job. And like most sale jobs, some days you can potentially bank big while others you come home empty handed. That's just how it goes.

Now this can change once you get known but until that point you need to approach this realistically and come up with a realistic game plan to get you some measurable results...

not in these times , maybe in 2008 - or 2009 not no more the game is saturated ,and if u want to go into a sales job ' go into tele marketing if u want to work on commission,cause eventually you have to earn all the $ you invested in trying to promoting and seo work and backing links and what not , just cause some had there foot in the door then,it was easier ,Now its easy to get free beats/drumkits/software and its not hard to diy trust when i say this its not what it seems if your (Roi) is close to nothing and your eating top ramen for a couple of years trying
to fullfill a unrealistic outlook.

the (roi) is nothing iff u really think about it your just working on commission or even half that when it comes to bills and rent and equipment , your done its best to have job on the side and try to fluctuate the expenses.other then that youll be wishen on a star to make big amounts competing against all the big names that be leading with there ads .

so invest
in 1,000 on google seo
1,000 on google adwords
1,000 on backing links
1,000 soundclick ads/banners
the marketing of ads to compete with the big dogs 6 months -1 year of financial capital to invest
myflash store a year 240
soundclick a year 120
and equipment another 1,500 +
for monitors,headphones,pc,audio interface
midi keyboard,drum pad the list goes onn
and you want to try to make it selling beats for 25 dollars your kidding right '
and youll make half of that in 5-10 years tops if that,
plus all the (time) you invest into making beats is too much of time and money if ur selling for hella cheap prices for the amount you actually put inn time/money .

Last edited:
I'm not trying to say everbody is wrong who has that negative, oh you can't make it mindset. I made many sales without spending money on promotion and still making it. I mean it is really not impossible to make a living off of selling beats online. Nope I don't make a living out of it YET but it's not that far away to make it real. But as someone stated already, keep focusing on making the best music you can make. That one simple thing made me work harder, learn a lot about myself and the way my creative mind is working also got me a couple sales :) It's just takes time to make it, that's it. No diss to anyone here

I'm not trying to say everbody is wrong who has that negative, oh you can't make it mindset. I made many sales without spending money on promotion and still making it. I mean it is really not impossible to make a living off of selling beats online. Nope I don't make a living out of it YET but it's not that far away to make it real. But as someone stated already, keep focusing on making the best music you can make. That one simple thing made me work harder, learn a lot about myself and the way my creative mind is working also got me a couple sales :) It's just takes time to make it, that's it. No diss to anyone here
What's a living for you? For me, I want to make $100,000+. Hopefully a few hundred thousand a year

What's a living for you? For me, I want to make $100,000+. Hopefully a few hundred thousand a year
The odds of this happening are very very very slim. Of course we all would love to make that kind of money as a producer, but realistically, it's about as unlikely as winning the lottery.

To be the one person who makes $100k+, you need to be talented and hard working, but you can't succeed without a LOT of luck- and frankly, I wouldn't want to rely on luck to keep myself financially secure.

The odds of this happening are very very very slim. Of course we all would love to make that kind of money as a producer, but realistically, it's about as unlikely as winning the lottery.

To be the one person who makes $100k+, you need to be talented and hard working, but you can't succeed without a LOT of luck- and frankly, I wouldn't want to rely on luck to keep myself financially secure.

I'm from Hungary, where the average monthly salary is around 600$ so to me 10k+ in USD is like heaven lol. Def I want to make more than that but I be straight with 5.000$ first which I will achieve in the following 10 month and then hit 10k :)

Nah it's 100% for me. I'm aiming to make $250,000 a year within 10 yrs without even aiming for major placements or getting paid off of selling beats to artists. Producers aren't smart. Selling beats to broke artists isn't a good business plan.

Nah it's 100% for me. I'm aiming to make $250,000 a year within 10 yrs without even aiming for major placements or getting paid off of selling beats to artists. Producers aren't smart. Selling beats to broke artists isn't a good business plan.
Good luck then- you'll need it

No, I won't. I work smart. I'm not a dumb trap producer.
I didn't mean any offence. It's just that even a lot of very talented producers I admire and would consider successful still don't make that much money: and they're doing a lot more than selling beats

I didn't mean any offence. It's just that even a lot of very talented producers I admire and would consider successful still don't make that much money: and they're doing a lot more than selling beats
No offense taken. Do they sell beats to hip hop producers as their main income? And how do you know how much they make?

Last edited:
What kind of beats do you make Handmade? I figured out a while ago that making rap beats would make me "popular" in my community, but making pop/R&B music would definitely make me stand out WAY more. Everyone is a producer now. Most of them from around here (Toronto) make hip hop beats so they can be like Boi1da and T-Minus without realizing that those guys (mainly T-Minus) can make more than just a rap beat. I want to make money selling beats online. I'm going to do it my way as well. If I feel I need to pay for marketing to get ahead, then I'll pay for marketing. Right now though, I'm still working on finding my sound and myself as a producer. Once I'm ready, I'll be out there.
Selling beats is a hustle. Everyone needs to remember that. You gotta hustle. If someone says they plan on making over $250k a year, then that's their goal. Can't knock them for reaching for the stars. I'm reaching for the same kind of success and everyone making beats should be doing the same. As soon as you limit yourself and say "this is not attainable" or "this is not for an amateur like me" then that's just how it's going to be.

What kind of beats do you make Handmade? I figured out a while ago that making rap beats would make me "popular" in my community, but making pop/R&B music would definitely make me stand out WAY more. Everyone is a producer now. Most of them from around here (Toronto) make hip hop beats so they can be like Boi1da and T-Minus without realizing that those guys (mainly T-Minus) can make more than just a rap beat. I want to make money selling beats online. I'm going to do it my way as well. If I feel I need to pay for marketing to get ahead, then I'll pay for marketing. Right now though, I'm still working on finding my sound and myself as a producer. Once I'm ready, I'll be out there.
Selling beats is a hustle. Everyone needs to remember that. You gotta hustle. If someone says they plan on making over $250k a year, then that's their goal. Can't knock them for reaching for the stars. I'm reaching for the same kind of success and everyone making beats should be doing the same. As soon as you limit yourself and say "this is not attainable" or "this is not for an amateur like me" then that's just how it's going to be.

I make hip hop, pop, and electronic tracks pretty much. But I don't sell them to artists 99.9% of the time

Back