Beat prices? What do you charge? Lease or not?

J

JonnyBongo

I know its a grey area in Hip Hop production but how much do you sample based producers charge for you beats?

I was thinking about putting a set price up on my myspace but im not sure.. Ive been doing it on an individual basis where it depends on the artists situation (signed, unsigned, independent label etc?)

Dont get me wrong im selling beats thats not a problem... Im just thinking maybe im putting off the unsigned artists with very small budgets. Maybe i should lease as well?

Just wanna have an open conversion/discussion about the matter of beat selling, how much and if to lease or not!

check out my myspace:

Welcome to the new Myspace!

Peace

Well I charge $15 for leasing and $75 for exclusive but usually I just give my beats away for free because I'm not tryin to sell beats right now I just REALLY wanna hear people spit on my tracks.

yea i feel u. used to never give em free but man i had way too many beats just sittin. usually let em go for 50, sometimes more, sometimes less. the most ive sold for is 100, some for 75 cause they got mad play. the lowest has been 5 for 100 leases. once i found a few ppl who were reliable it was easier to do business cause i can do it behind the scenes not thru myspace which is how i linked with em.

oh sh!t I never tried usin myspace haha. I've sold a few beats for like $30 at the most haha.

yo u work wit jehst an dem thats sic, id keep on how ur gonin man cos them beats are real nice, dont sell urself short, i do the same wit studio time, dependin on how much income they got an how much work they put it. peace man

it all just depends on your stature that determines your selling price if you know an artist is up-coming and has a real nice buzz then you might want to let him have a beat for free just remember to always have the copyrights set before you start to do business search FORM SR for song recording copyrights

i lease for 10 bucks and sell exclusives anywhere from $25 to $200...it depends on the beat really, if its something i think can be a real hot song then ill charge more but if its a beat that i dont care for to much ill just let those go for cheap...little money is better than no money

Word. I work so it ain't about the money really but it's nice to have. I usually just let it build in my paypal account and I use the card if I ever need somethin quick or to order some equipment or something online. It never builds Too much tho, My wife be claimin my beat money on some gangsta ****

Need to game my bidness sorted out... Least yall are making money off this shyt... Im too slack, I remember I had like 3 or 4 guarnteed beats sold through contacts and friends but didnt follow up... lol

Cmon Nom you know this beat making shyt is a front for all that flake your slinging... psssh

Do what works. If you're selling tracks, who cares? If mo-fos are willing to pay $50 for beat, then sell it for $50. If they're willing to pay $5000, sell it for $5000. Work out a deal. If they're established, they'll have the money.

On the other hand, there are some that can't afford hi-priced beats so take it easy on them. Be generous...but don't sell yourself out. You don't have to bend for nobody. You work hard and put a lot of love in your music, so they should respect that. Ask for what you want.

But only work with people that grind. Because no matter how good they flow, if they're lazy, you're wasting time.

Last edited:
amen, if they can rhyme they ass off but not makin moves, or even tryin to make moves, just content to hear their own voice on a track, make em pay u a lil somethin. for ppl doin **** and will get ur music heard, if u can sell it, great, if not at least ur bein heard and u may be able to work something out to where u get money from sales or w/e. dont close the door on offers, but also dont get railroaded. also yes i wish i was hustlin somethin cause id have loot. even tho im not broke, im broke, feel me?

I didn't read any of this but the first posts, so forgive me if this has already been said.

But beat makers, do not subject your self to these stupid low ass prices! WTF! 25 dollars a beat? 15 dollars a beat??? WTF!!! Your bringing down the value of the instrumental, we are the back bone of the hip-hop industry and if you want to keep it a tight and profitable business exploit keep your prices reasonably high, say 100 to 1000. Hustle hard, keep your money tight, this aint the drug trade, rappers cant be fiends, we cant give them the quality for less, you know what I'm saying?

Depends on y u got into it I guess. I didn't get into it to eat off the beats. If that's the only goal then hold out for big money. In the end that becomes some ppls downfall.

Well, the topic isn't about the love of beatmaking. It's about prices...money. If it ain't about making money, what's the point of working so hard. If you want to do it for fun, do it for fun. Don't get serious about it. Don't sell sh1t.

However, if you spend time perfecting that bassline, or digging through hundreds of records before you finally find THAT snare...Guess what. You ARE serious, so make that money. You need it to support your craft.

People get rich exploiting our talent with every other hit. Who remembers the producer that made the beat for Busta's "Put Yo Hands"? Or how about 50 Cent's first underground mixtape? I bet nobody knows.

The point I'm amking is that when an artist explodes, we usually can't ride on the bandwagon with them. We get kicked off and they may never contact us again...Imagine somebody blowin' up off one of your best beats...and all you'll get is a measily 50 bucks.

Don't sell out, it hurts us all. If an artist is serious, he'll give you what you need.

Last edited:
Well as much as I love it, it's a hobby. I donthave time to dig thru records for a snare, that's why god said let ther be pumpulokikomies.

I Lease for $30. $40 with Stems.
I Exclusive them for $200 with stems

I didn't read any of this but the first posts, so forgive me if this has already been said.

But beat makers, do not subject your self to these stupid low ass prices! WTF! 25 dollars a beat? 15 dollars a beat??? WTF!!! Your bringing down the value of the instrumental, we are the back bone of the hip-hop industry and if you want to keep it a tight and profitable business exploit keep your prices reasonably high, say 100 to 1000. Hustle hard, keep your money tight, this aint the drug trade, rappers cant be fiends, we cant give them the quality for less, you know what I'm saying?

Real talk.

$150 Exclusive for a sampled beat to an unsigned artist. Under the contract it states the buyer is aware and responsible for any liabilities involved with the sample. I don't even persue royalties.

$1500 and up if you are backed by majors. Same stipulation. And up could reach to a gazillion dollars depending on your project, but it's not like I'm working with 50 Cent, lol. So usually $1500

Last edited:
Back