The Battle between Value and Price?

superegobeats

Producer/Emcee
So as producers who want to make selling beats as our main source of income, how do we price our beats?

I have my main site through Soundclick - Download Beats - Underground Beats - Free Beats - Buy Beats

I sell my leases for around 50 bucks.. but my main competitors sell on Soundclick for 25-30 bucks per lease. Psychologically speaking, the higher the price, the better the value, I don't want to have to lower my product, I feel I've earned my stripes (I have a pretty decent production credit resume).. but it's hard to compete with such low prices on beats.

How do you price your beats and keep your value high, but still move your product?

Well i actually lease my beats for $20 but i'm still very new to the game so i don't think i could charge more especially with all the competition and low prices right now..Here's my main site TerryVibes Productions - Beats Riddims & Instrumentals

I checked out some of your beats and they sound really good so i'm sure if you can reach out to a lot of people and/or have returning customers you won't have much trouble finding people to sell to..Do you have a mailing list by the way?

Last edited:
I do have a mailing list, I forget about using it all the time, even though signup is directly on my site lol.

It's hard to compete with Soundclick's low prices.. I've sold beats at my price, but I feel that sales could come a lot more if I lower them.

Maybe you could try lowering them as a test and see how it goes? Or maybe offer some kind of discounts?

Just lower your prices. 5 customers buying 10 dollar leases is better than 0 customers buying 50 dollar leases. Its not short changing yourself if you profit. People who are looking to buy leases are generally working with small budgets. No need to alienate your core customers with price. Make that $$$$$$$$.

Do not confuse value with price.

Value is an intangible, dealing with the inherit worth of a product or idea or symbol....

Price on the other hand is what you think you can get for that product in a free or closed market...

So, the intrinsic value of a product might be on the order of several hundreds of dollars but the market price for today may only be $25.

Also remember that you are really nickel-and-dime'ing at this level. A $50 lease is on the same level as a $100 or $25 lease in terms of how you value your product - i.e. not very much.

A more realistic view of your value is that it is of the order of several thousands of dollars - what do you expect the tack to bring in over time is your question when trying to assign a value.

Re-leasing the same track to different artists increases its inherent worth or value.

An exclusive lease should be at least in the thousands if not the tens-of-thousands of dollars, as the product has a one-time value and is not available for resale.

If you cede any other rights to the track then it should be valued even higher, as you are forgoing future income from the various rights that adhere to the track in your name for a big initial payday.

Talk to an accountant or tax attorney fro more insight, as they have the necessary expertise to provide you with solid figures and also the incentive to retain our business. As always remember that any time you pay for advice in relation to selling beats, it is a tax deduction.

Back