Is Audio/Video/TV Production a good career area to pursue?

RyanTrapstar

Is this guy right?

pretty much he says that anything that doesn't involve STEM is useless. is this true? are there more jobs other than STEM that are in demand?

Audio Engineers!

What job do they offer .. and how hard is it to get one..

For you audio engineers, how hard was it for you to find this job?

I really love working with sound boards and mixing and all the aspects of that.. would you say it is a good career to pursue? any advice?

p.s: people have been saying that STEM degrees are only important and anything else is useless.. what would you say about that?

Last edited:
Production can be arguably a category belonging to the STEM field; although I think there are many risks involved with perusing a career where the demand is arguably low.
But the question is, are you willing to put your passion aside in exchange for money?

The STEM field is a safe path that pretty much grantees a stable life and economical status, but I personally won't give up my talents and passion for money. If you think that you got what it takes, go after it. (The life of a musician is not the prettiest)

I think that you are forgetting that carpenters, plumbers, bricklayers, electricians, roofers, painters/decorators and similar trades are all still pretty much hands on - programming a machine to do some of those tasks is still not possible as there are limits to how much you can do in a day
-- bricklaying is no more than 4 courses of bricks per day so that the mortar has time to set before adding additional weight on top - it is a stability issue
- electricians wiring houses or other buildings, the work is one of supervised cable laying to make sure that the cable is not compromised either by fasteners or nicks/cuts
- on-site trimming/shimming door and window frames so that they are square and plumb
-- a machine could do the job better at one level but at the whole level of doing it so that it looks right as well as being right is still a human thing done by carpenters mostly
- laying plumbing could be done by a robot on site but again making it work within the gradients that the building site has whilst making it work to code is still a human thing rather than a machine thing
-- you might need to deepen a trench or make it shallow
-- you may have to fix pipes that get cracked during the construction process (shouldn't happen but if the site is vandalised may need to be done nonetheless)

As for IT what level do you think you want to work

Customer support
Systems engineering/management
Database engineering/management
Web development
User training
SW Engineering (one of my degrees is in this)

Last edited:
I think people find their career paths twisted when it comes to getting degrees and pursuing work in our field. You shouldn't expect a certain level of pay just because earned a degree or two that says you understand audio. There are other aspects of conducting business that others take for granted. You'll see the best results after you've established the work ethics required to earn the amount of money you get throughout your career.

Last edited:
College is the new Vegas, "what happens there stays there." Because once you enter the real world you see that what college gave you doesn't apply.

the purpose of college is about teaching you how to problem solve more than anything else
- if that is not applicable in the real world then we are all headed for extinction
- the content taught is meant to make you ready to begin your real learning once you get a job related to that content

Last edited:
>>>> the content taught is meant to make you ready to begin your real learning once you get a job related to that content<<<<

That's it, really. We've all taken the position of "Just give me my piece of paper, so I can start getting my money." In the martial arts,and Asian cultures in general, finishing basic education is looked at as a beginning, rather than an ending. When you earn a "black belt" in something, you have now mastered _the basics_, and can begin to apply those basics in real world situations, where the learning really begins and lasts a lifetime. This, to me, is a healthier attitude towards education.

Do you want to learn about Music? Audio? Production? Computers? Then you should learn, but don't expect completing a specific "belt" in one of those areas guarantees you an income. It doesn't even guarantee you'll do any better than anyone else in the field who may not be "educated." But what it will give you are shortcuts to the basic knowledge that it might have taken you years to work out on your own.

GJ

Back