Attention LA locals: Just moved here, where do I start?

LAProducer2017

Hello Future Producers,
I'm an aspiring hip-hop producer who just moved to LA this week. I have a flexible work-from-home job so I have free time during the EVENINGS and DAY. I have lots of beats and reference tracks for artists. My SoundCloud and other social media will be launched by end of the month.

But in terms of networking in Los Angeles (I live in Downtown LA) and finding new opportunities, where do I start? I love to meet new people and network but I don't know what to do! I've tried to look online for tips but everything is outdated or generic. I need specifics

• What LA organizations should I join?
  • What LA night clubs/live music venues should I frequent?
  • How do I get invited to REAL industry events? (not the wack EventBrite ones) For example, Grammys are coming up in a few weeks with dozens of parties. I would like to attend and meet new people in the the music biz circle.
  • How do I get reference track/demos to record labels or artist managers? No one accepts unsolicited material.

Do you have any cuts (legit releases) out there now? Consider joining the Recording Academy. You may also qualify for the Producer's Wing. https://www.grammypro.com/join

Are you a member of ASCAP or BMI? Contact your local rep. Musician's Union? If you would be able to play a live gig on any instrument at a professional level, on somebody else's gig, you might want to look into that. Find the local music stores, record shops, and live music venues... Talking to people live, in real time, makes it easier to winnow out the BS from the gold.

GJ

I don't have any "legit" releases yet. However, I am finishing up a mixtape I'm releasing to SoundCloud, AppleMusic and Spotify at end of month. I read the Grammy Pro site and I would qualify as an "Associate Member"! That's great! Do you know if the Membership includes LOTS of networking events: or is it just like 1 or 2 a year? I wish I joined earlier so I could have gone to a lot of the Grammy events next month. Sigh.

I am a member of ASCAP. Looking forward to going to the ASCAP Expo in April but I still wanted to do lots of networking between now and then. I will definitely contact local rep and see if they can help guide me as well

I will be at the NAMM show this weekend. Never gone before. I hear it is a place where "everybody" hangs and is very accessible. There are meet and greets and workshops, as well as the trade show floor. Maybe try to get tickets next year. (PM me for a secret).

BMI does a lot of development events for their members. I don't know about ASCAP, but I'm sure they've got some things; check with your local rep.

GJ

I'm actually going to be at the NAMM event as well - I wanted to hit ground running.

I will definitely contact ASCAP to see what events or tips they can give me.

Thanks everyone for tips. Keep em coming!

Back