Artists and Their Producer's Studios

Chrisbowmusic

New member here ... I'm not sure if this is the right forum or not, but I'm looking for insight into how much a producer should invest in a hometown professional studio that is NOT in NYC, LA or Atl? What are the chances of enticing major recording artists to travel to a grand studio in middle-of-nowhere America as opposed to a studio closer to them (probably LA or NYC)? Let me rephrase ... what are those chances if you're not Timbaland or Rodney Jerkins? (Although I know there's also a Darkchild Studios in LA).

This is relevant from the perspective of considering how much a producer should invest (if at all) in a professional hometown studio that is NOT in LA, NYC, or Atl (for RnB and Urban Pop). I guess I'm looking for useful insight outside the obvious answer, which is ... "when you're reputation and bank account allow for it." More like, what is the dynamic between producers and artists in this regard? Who ever has the lesser name (or less "pull") travels? Or strictly a budgeting issue, who's budget would pay for the travel? Or, depends more on the artists schedule and how hot the track is?

I ask because I'd love to setup shop back in my hometown Buffalo, NY, but I think I'd have to be Timbaland to get artists to come there.

That is the answer though.. “When your budget and rep allows for it”. You have to have some sort of reputation in order for people to want to record in your studio.

Traveling budget isn't an issue as those expenses are written off. As far as who pays for the traveling? There is no set answer for this it depends on the person's contract and whatever deal they have worked out with whomever they work with.

Some people pay out of pocket and are later reimbursed others aren't...just depends.

The likelihood of professionals using your studio boils down to if your environment fits their needs...that's really it.

Studio feel, sound quality etc.. A lot of professionals like recording in lesser known studios for creative purposes.

My family owns 2 condos in Breckenridge that are studios. Every now then big artist, producers, indi film makers rent it out (especially during ski season).

How much do you need to put in your studio? That's really up to you. You want to make sure your studio has a nice calm feel to it. You want to make sure it's treated (to some extent). You want to make sure you have at least enough in for them to record and mix...

Then could cost 5k, 10k, 30k 100k....you get the picture.

Last edited:
Back