Artist Management

JMD_Music

This week I begin my artist management class at UCLA. I'm pretty excited but had a question regarding internships.

I just landed an internship for a management company that only works with Jazz music. I don't ever plan to work with Jazz artists. Should I decline this internship opportunity? I plan to work with pop and rock artists.

This week I begin my artist management class at UCLA. I'm pretty excited but had a question regarding internships.

I just landed an internship for a management company that only works with Jazz music. I don't ever plan to work with Jazz artists. Should I decline this internship opportunity? I plan to work with pop and rock artists.

why??
Jazz is the foundation of Pop and Rock music
Jazz is the first true American Art-form

you'll gain plenty of experience and knowledge

if you have Netflix watch the PBS Ken Burns Jazz Documentary
it really,really opened my eyes to what Jazz meant to our Nation,socially and economically
what it meant for Future Music in America Soul, RnB,Rap,Pop,Rock and Roll, and Rock
you have a have a broader mindset

Be Blessed

Last edited:
I find Jazz to be incredibly boring. I was asked to attend a jazz concert this week, but I'm not sure if I want to go. I'd fall asleep.

wow, just,..... wow!

the main difference between jazz and pop/rock music is that the soloist may take several minutes to actually get going on a great solo. when you compare this to rock/pop it does seem boring but it is about a different level of listening and therefore of musical interest

a jazz soloist will start out slow and may find several different ideas to exploit whilst beginning their solo. they eventually reach a point where those ideas can be melded into a single solo that everyone applauds: the audience is applauding the search for cohesion and the final act of rendering the ideas cohesively; i.e. they are applauding the intellectual journey of creating that final great line of the solo.

In pop/rock music we expect the solo to come out fully formed in one take, no exploring, no hunting, no final gelling of the ideas into a master arc within the greater piece of music; just drops fully formed and is then repeated ad infinitum without variation so that the fans do not think of the band/soloist as a sell out or worse incompetent

attend the concert, learn something about the roots of pop and rock: both derive from the clashing of musical cultures that started with Western Swing (a collision between big band jazz and country music, a country instrumentation tinged version of big band music, only with guitars and fiddles) and developed into something far more brash as it also collided with lyrics that were based in the teen experiences of the 50's and all subsequent decades - i.e. what we call pop/rock music is simply an expression of teen culture and rebellion in each decade with new heroes rising up from the ashes of the previous generations heroes, both figuratively and literally

the internship will do you a world of good to move outside of your direct area of interest, allowing you to work on the skills you will need to be successful:

believing in your artist is easy when you like them; much harder when you don't: sometimes you don't get too choose, especially if you are not running your own agency

that belief in your artist is usually what most people think of when they think management or agent: end of the day if you can't place them you don't get paid, so learn how to do it without being engaged or excited about the artist in the first place - it will make it that much more enjoyable when you have the luxury of believing that your artist is worth your time

Back