appropriate % for partial songwriting credit

M

mr.dream

i noticed some producers charge x amount of $ for a track w/ a partial songwriting credit. any suggestions on how much is appropriate?... say, if you're charging 2-5 hun for a bombbb beat that you know could hit. thanks. md

By asking for a partial songwriting credit, they are essentially saying that they are going to take partial ownership of the copyright. This would entitle them to a share of any backend royalties that are generated by the music. Also, the more copyright owners that are involved with a song, the more expensive and harder it will be for someone who wants to use that music commercially to get all the licenses to use the music since they will need to get a license from all copyright owners.

By asking for a partial songwriting credit, they are essentially saying that they are going to take partial ownership of the copyright. This would entitle them to a share of any backend royalties that are generated by the music. Also, the more copyright owners that are involved with a song, the more expensive and harder it will be for someone who wants to use that music commercially to get all the licenses to use the music since they will need to get a license from all copyright owners.
good information

this is good info. thanks kevin! i've been doing quite a bit of research into working with publishers and such. i guess all i'm really concerned about is not having to relinquish my songwriting credit and hand over 100% of a work to someone that's going to make a killing off of it and leave me high and dry. i think at the end of the day, it's going to be best that i just sit down with a lawyer and find the right publisher to pimp my tunes.
thanks everyone for your contributions to this thread. got a great group of people here! md.

Back