Approaching blogs with exclusive video deals/partnerships

YurBlak

Hi guys,

I've been working on trying to get some blogs to post a video for a big Hip-Hop artist. I was thinking of giving the blog the video 1 week before everyone else has it, as a premier.
My questions are:
  • Do you have any experience pitching such b2b partnerships? Any tips and tricks?
  • Do you think 1 week is a reasonable period to give the blog exclusive rights? Considering the fact that any video van be downloaded and reuploaded easily with modern technology: exclusive really isn't what it used to be.
  • What do you think the biggest hip-hop blogs are? So far the ones on the top (based on unique visitors) are:
  1. Complex.com
  2. globalgrind.com
  3. hiphopdx.com
  4. sohh.com
  5. allhiphop.com
  6. xxlmag.com (Not that many visitors but a big influence considering its physical press)
  7. hypebest.com
  8. 2dopeboyz.com
  9. nahright.com
  10. prefixmag
Any other additions?

Thanks for your help!

It certainly looks like you've done your research and put together a plan. Awesome! I would think a site or two would jump at the opportunity (I'm assuming you're not offering the exclusive to all of them at once?).

I think one week (provided there's at least a week or two before that to promote the promotional exclusive) would be fine.

From my limited perspective, I think sohh.com would be good; they were always a popular site, and I seem to remember them hyping some similar exclusives in the past.

GJ

Hi GJ,

Thanks for your reply! Yes I was planning on offering it to one blog, starting with the most popular blog and working my way down the list. I honestly think Complex may be too much too soon as they are known for their reluctance to break/support artists that dont have backing by the huge "marketing machines" of the industry. On the other hand: If you never shoot, you never score!

go for it sir.
you have a professional attitude and approach
you should be go
keep us posted
network man,network
please get at me with what happen
in PM if you don't want the whole forum knowing

hope to hear from you
-Coach Antonio
Building Relations to Build Success

Hi guys,

I've been working on trying to get some blogs to post a video for a big Hip-Hop artist. I was thinking of giving the blog the video 1 week before everyone else has it, as a premier.
My questions are:
  • Do you have any experience pitching such b2b partnerships? Any tips and tricks?
  • Do you think 1 week is a reasonable period to give the blog exclusive rights? Considering the fact that any video van be downloaded and reuploaded easily with modern technology: exclusive really isn't what it used to be.
  • What do you think the biggest hip-hop blogs are? So far the ones on the top (based on unique visitors) are:

1. Complex.com
  2. globalgrind.com
  3. hiphopdx.com
  4. sohh.com
  5. allhiphop.com
  6. xxlmag.com (Not that many visitors but a big influence considering its physical press)
  7. hypebest.com
  8. 2dopeboyz.com
  9. nahright.com
  10. prefixmag
Any other additions?

Thanks for your help!

Finally, someone who's ready to make real business decisions. Here are a few suggestions to consider when making a pitch, don't do it. This ain't baseball, its business and professionals are interested in accomplishing one common goal: increasing the success of their business. As obvious as this concept may seem, it's often over looked because the personal ambitions of the so called "pitcher" get in the way. Do your best to paint a picture of benefits within the minds of email recipients and those you speak with. Make sure that they can see themselves and companies using your videos in their up coming articles. Allow them the privilege of seeing web traffic growth by promoting the videos that are sold.

If you're going to give exclusive rights, you should make exclusive videos. People buy exclusive rights because it gives them a since of ownership, which is financially beneficial for you. In other words, once exclusive rights are purchased, incorporate the new owners domain name within the audio, video and narration of the project. Tag your videos with the new owners information while finding ways to convey information relevant to owners specifically. One week exclusives seem more like leases since other companies will ultimately find themselves using the same video in similar markets.

Hi FP's
Thanks again for your insight. Really good to have some fresh angles. I will take it all into account and focus my proposition on the advantages it brings the blog. The artist will be putting out a mixtape towards the end of November so being the first/only on to have it will definately benefit potential partners. I will discuss branding the video with the blogs info as well, however we have some references to the studio as well as the artists online networks (twitter+Facebook) and don't want to pull the focus away from the music and turn it into an ad.

In terms of the content, the videos are all studio sessions with 2 or more hip-hop artists that have all been planned throughout the end of the year in line with big events and releases. Currently my only problem is that the mixtape has been pushed back so I can't get in touch with the blogs until I have all the information.
I will keep guys informed! :)
Y

Back