Anyone On Spotify?

OGBama

If you are on Spotify this is awful: A few weeks after the release of Kendrick Lamar’s “Humble,” the hard-charging lead single on his fourth album Damn., the song landed at No. 1 on Billboard’s streaming chart. It’s been on the chart ever since, never falling below No. 3 as users have played it more than 291 million times on Spotify alone.

And that’s just the streaming total for Lamar’s version. His hit song has also been a boon for Spotify’s parasitic underbelly — the coverbots and ripoff artists who vomit out inferior versions of popular songs every week, flooding the website with dreck that only succeeds when users are misled.

More at http://www.vulture.com/2017/07/streaming-music-cheat-codes.html

Thoughts?

Funny that a publication called 'Vulture' complains about... well, vultures. Haha. The 'parasitic underbelly' has always been a vital part of art and entertainment. It's the other side of the coin.
Respectability is always relative and a scam-artist is indeed an artist...

It's a world class performance played out in front of a limited audience, who pay a high price for.. euh their entry.

If you leave ethics and intentions out.. how is that any different, really.. from a painter or other artists asking millions for their work? We all sell dreams, ideas, spectacle and deceptions...hopefully well-intentioned ones.
But that's never guaranteed. Even well-intentioned 'art' can turn bad. All those brilliant early Soviet artists were true believers in the communist cause and thought they were helping to design and shape 'the new world' that was coming. They had no idea that a few years later they'd all be shot or shipped off to the gulags. Hitler was a failed painter, his best friend an architect. He surrounded himself with a lot of people with so called creative backgrounds. Throughout history many artists have always been willing to suck up to those in power and help whitewash or even propagandise their crimes.

And there is an amount of morbid voyeurism on the part of the audience. Please raise your hand if you've never ever looked up the circumstances and details of a famous person's death, or laughed at someone's misfortune.
That South Park episode where they find out teen-stars are only there to be sacrificed and everybody is in on it...? That was brilliant.

That's my view.

I'm much more interested by those numbers Kendrick Lamar is doing. He must be like: Damn, I'm so humbled by my bank account right now!

Back