Anybody getting paid to contribute samples to a sound bank?

I am not sure if this exists or if I am using the right terminology, but I am interested in knowing if anyone is getting paid to contribute samples - anything from your own synths to a field recording of a forest. I am wondering which sort of websites you're involved with and what sort of income you're making.

You mean sound designing for companies? If so then yes, as far as income. It depends on your contract with the company, some will do a residual with you and some will buy you out.

If you're splitting commission, it's going to depend on how much you sell obviously and how many people/companies you are affiliated with with.
In buy out situations I've made anywhere from 3,000-12,000 per project. Residual, a consistent 4 figures a month

Bigfishaudio
Ik Multimedia
loopmasters
mvp loops

etc

You'll make more money pushing your own sounds through your site and indi companies vs larger companies (creative control)

The truth is these companies want you present a product to them..not just a few sounds but a complete package this includes:

Beats
one shots
loops
wav
aiff
rex files
midi files
mixing settings
etc

In all honestly it can be good pay (depending on how well they promote the product) and it can be horrible pay (depending on how badly they promote the product)

Last edited:
That is great reply, thank you, but I am wondering more about things I could just record myself with a microphone in my house - words or phrases, noises, traffic, that sort of thing - not solely "music" persay. I am interested in knowing though whether these companies heard your stuff and used it, or heard your stuff and asked you to create other stuff?

i've always wanted to contribute to loop packages and stuff but i have no idea where to start

start with that list of things Cyko wrote about
complete beat
then one shots
drumloops breakdown(snare loop,bass drum loops,hi-hat loop,ect.)
synth loop
anything that beat was made with in loop form

quality matters here

just go to Big Fish Audio | Music Loops, Drum Loops and Virtual Instruments and see how their packages are made
you can start promote your own packages first
and then try to contact businesses for deals such as Cyko pointed out above

HOLY LAMB MEDIA & ENTERTAINMENT | HOLY LAMB MEDIA & ENTERTAINMENT | INTERVIEWS
One free hour of training/consulting click on the banner in the sig.
The Walking On Water Media/Ent. Business Coach Antonio
Research and Information Gathering Expert
Building Relationships to Build Success
Get the Information and Direction You Deserve

That is great reply, thank you, but I am wondering more about things I could just record myself with a microphone in my house - words or phrases, noises, traffic, that sort of thing - not solely "music" persay. I am interested in knowing though whether these companies heard your stuff and used it, or heard your stuff and asked you to create other stuff?

No one really wants random noises recorded with a mic. You have to think, these companies (most of them) have studios they can do all of that themselves. They want something they either can't do or something you can provide (that's quality) that will save them time.

The companies contacted me (mostly) I network with a lot of business reps and know a ton of producers and sound designers

No one really wants random noises recorded with a mic. You have to think, these companies (most of them) have studios they can do all of that themselves. They want something they either can't do or something you can provide (that's quality) that will save them time.

The companies contacted me (mostly) I network with a lot of business reps and know a ton of producers and sound designers

Well I decided to post this thread after I was searching for samples on a free-sounds site and I saw that a bunch of those random sorts of noises had hundreds of downloads, and they weren't even quality samples.

Well I decided to post this thread after I was searching for samples on a free-sounds site and I saw that a bunch of those random sorts of noises had hundreds of downloads, and they weren't even quality samples.

Right, and you're always find that on sites that offer FREE sounds but as stated you were looking to get "paid" to do that. If you are wanting to do this you can it would just be way more profitable hosting it on your own rather than going with a company. Even if you want to offer the sounds free you could and still be paid. if need help setting something like this up let me know (pm me) i'll help you

You got some great advice in this thread as it relates to sound designing for companies that do urban, hip hop, dance, pop, etc., but sounds more like you are asking about random sounds and it's usefulness to be sold to someone. As a person that does both what we are really talking about is two different industries. Everyone does it differently and will surely give you different advice, but I can tell you what I do.

I sound design for companies as a ghost designer. This means that I create sounds that are sold under the companies name and not my brand. Basically I create a package of sounds, I sign over rights to those sounds under a "work for hire" agreement and they cut me a check. As a ghost designer I can typically ask for more money than if I was selling to help promote myself and my brand because they can call the product their own. This method may not work for everyone, but I am a mix engineer first and a sound designer second so this arrangement works quite nicely for my needs. Dollar ranges are about what Cyko told you on buy outs, but it all depends on the project, sounds, etc.

Oh also this doesn't work if you are looking for fame or credit, etc., or if you are going to get mad about the money being made that you are not getting because you sold your sounds away. Early on when I first started to do this I would go to the website that I just sold my sounds to, see the price they were selling it at, then add up all the possible sales they would be getting over time and then be mad....lol. A 14 thousand dollar check sounds good but you take away the taxes (everything over 10k is reported here), pay some bills, you buy a few things for the studio, stuff for the kids and of course the wife wants something, then you get a little something for you and poof that money is gone but they can sell your sounds forever and make way more than 14k...lol..now I just sell and I don't even go to see what they are reselling my sounds for..I just keep it moving.

Now the second thing which is what I think you are really asking about is field sounds (at least I think so..lol) Yes, there are people looking for random sounds for sure! But they are not the same people that are selling drum sounds to folks trying to make hip hop in their bedroom! I sell sound libraries to a lot of independent film companies, business, etc., on a regular basis. See you have to understand that in film (other than dialog) very little of the sound is captured on set. A person walking or kids laughing as an example are all added in during editing. This is where sound libraries come in. You sell them your sound library anywhere from $500 and up (on average I have seen about 2 to 6k). It's not all easy money though. The sound must be clean and clear...not a lot of background noise. You will spend a lot of time cleaning sounds so if you hate that then it won't be fun. Anyway there is more to it is all I am saying. You can't just take a microphone and walk around your city recording stuff. There is an actual art to it believe it or not. Anyway, I wish good luck and much success and I hope all the info you get from this thread points you in the right direction.

start with that list of things Cyko wrote about
complete beat
then one shots
drumloops breakdown(snare loop,bass drum loops,hi-hat loop,ect.)
synth loop
anything that beat was made with in loop form

quality matters here

just go to Big Fish Audio | Music Loops, Drum Loops and Virtual Instruments and see how their packages are made
you can start promote your own packages first
and then try to contact businesses for deals such as Cyko pointed out above

http://holylambmediaentertainment.com/interviews/
I know all that, the only part I fall at is contacting the business, where the f do i start? lol

I hope to get this answered stay looking for my interview postings going to interview a few licensing,sound designer audio engineers/experts

HOLY LAMB MEDIA & ENTERTAINMENT | HOLY LAMB MEDIA & ENTERTAINMENT | INTERVIEWS
One free hour of training/consulting click on the banner in the sig.
The Walking On Water Media/Ent. Business Coach Antonio
Research and Information Gathering Expert
Building Relationships to Build Success
Get the Information and Direction You Deserve

I know all that, the only part I fall at is contacting the business, where the f do i start? lol

I'm not trying to sound like an ass but it's not rocket science... Just contact them. Make sure you have a project ready for show before you do though (everything runs a little smoother)

---------- Post added at 09:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:43 PM ----------

The sound must be clean and clear...not a lot of background noise. You will spend a lot of time cleaning sounds so if you hate that then it won't be fun. Anyway there is more to it is all I am saying. You can't just take a microphone and walk around your city recording stuff. There is an actual art to it believe it or not. Anyway, I wish good luck and much success and I hope all the info you get from this thread points you in the right direction.

Exactly, when he threw out that example of the free download sites 90% of those are tacky random.. unprofessionally recorded

Back