Any of You "Shelve" Beats?

G

1. If you have your own artist do you hold beats that werent used on the last mixtape so that they can be selected from on the next? Ex. I send in 50beats 10 get on the mixtape (of 13) Do you hold of the other 40 tracks (meaning you cant sell them to anyone and they just sit there......)

2. If you are your own producer and you make this great tracks you think T.I will do great on ft. Ne-yo & John Legend. Will you hold off? or shop it directly to the A&Rs that are associated with each (before mentioned names) label execs specifally stating this song is built of T.I with ne-yo a songwriter and John Legend on the hook....

I hold off and stockpile. The first single off my next album has HISTORY, I did it before I finished my current album and there was a slew of people I wanted to pitch it to but after months of bullshit I figured that I deserved it more than anyone else lol. I hold off at times because I realize that I may B giving away a beat thats a production baby, a piece of me, to someone who doesn't fully appreciate it or know what to do with it. Then beyond that, when your an artist AND a producer, you realize that sometimes, by selling a beat to a more established artist you're just strengthening your competition. As an artist and a producer, I myself feel obligated to hold back on some tracks and sell those that I know can get farther out or my hands

Back