any beat makers sell beats and have insurance

mrskytown

im in the process of setting up my beats website for selling beats, i was looking into business insurance, and man is it expensive, im just starting out, doe any beat makers have business insurance and could tell me how they managed to handle it, i was talking to a few companies and the insurance premiums for my type of business was about 2500 to 5000 dollars. i always read up on other bestsellers and read a few ebooks but they never mention this kind of stuff

well i spoke to a few of companies and told them a bit of my business and generally i get told to look at the media liability, which covers copyright infringement, like if someone claims i ripped off there song or something as well as other things, one of them mentioned like cyber liability, like if customers personal information gets compromised or something like that, but i mean im not too sure about all that. i will be using paypal, so i never see neither do i handle customers financial information, not too sure about it all, still scratching my head at this point

Last edited:
well i spoke to alto of companies and told them abit of my business and generally i get told to look at the media liability, which covers copyright infringement as well as other things, one of them mentioned like cyber liability, like if customers personal information gets compromised or something like that, but i mean im not too sure about all that.

The only way you stand a chance of someone's personal info being leaked or compromised is if you're accepting the information on your server

Meaning - email, payments, CC numbers, names numbers etc

Leave that up to paypal or a dedicated payment processor and they assume liability.

The insurance I have protects my business and it's assets.

Ultimately, what are you trying to insure here? Be specific please.

well thats the thing im not too sure to be honest, i guess just want to be covered in case i get sued or something, like i dont need like liability from like my home area, i dont have a shop or something, i guess its protection dealing with customers online an stuff.

well thats the thing im not too sure to be honest, i guess just want to be covered in case i get sued or something, like i dont need like liability from like my home area, i dont have a shop or something, i guess its protection dealing with customers online an stuff.

Sued online for what? I'm asking these questions to get an idea of what you want protection from. If you're not handling the clients personal info (social, address, phone numbers, cc numbers, checking account numbers etc) you can't be liable for any of it.

If you mention that your material will make them the best thing ever... well then on the other hand, possible.

So, give me a scenario of what you're afraid of happening.

sorry i know i sound like totally weird, its just ive always been told that every business has to have insurance and that's true for the most part but anyway i guess one of my fears is like someone sues me for a sample that ive used in my production or claims that i don't have rights to use that particular sound, now i dont use samples in my productions, however i do purchase and use royalty free sounds via, loops and sfx etc. and i incorporate them into my production. i also have productions that i produce from scratch without outside sounds within my music programs and the sounds they come with, i even read over the terms and agreement of the company i bought them from and even contacted them to confirm and i go through each production and analyze where each sound came from, even the kicks and snares, i stay in the terms of the sounds agreement and that they are ok for commercial use, but ya i don't know if that's gonna help but ya, and paypal will be dealing with the transactions, i do have an email list that customers can subscribe too, my site will look exactly like this template from Music Maker WordPress Theme - Sell Beats Online
they have a test purchase page, maybe u can look at the checkout process and take a look

sorry i know i sound like totally weird, its just ive always been told that every business has to have insurance and that's true for the most part but anyway i guess one of my fears is like someone sues me for a sample that ive used in my production or claims that i don't have rights to use that particular sound, now i dont use samples in my productions, however i do purchase and use royalty free sounds via, loops and sfx etc. and i incorporate them into my production. i also have productions that i produce from scratch without outside sounds within my music programs and the sounds they come with, i even read over the terms and agreement of the company i bought them from and even contacted them to confirm and i go through each production and analyze where each sound came from, even the kicks and snares, i stay in the terms of the sounds agreement and that they are ok for commercial use, but ya i don't know if that's gonna help but ya, and paypal will be dealing with the transactions, i do have an email list that customers can subscribe too, my site will look exactly like this template from Music Maker WordPress Theme - Sell Beats Online
they have a test purchase page, maybe u can look at the checkout process and take a look

So, if you use samples, word your contract that leaves sample clearance up to the end buyer, not you.
Even using royalty free sounds opens you up for danger.

If you compose your music and someone thinks you've taken their idea, they can file a claim. So, make sure your work is original, get a professional to draft your contracts the way you need them (for protection) and copyright your work.

If your site gets hacked, you'll want insurance to cover that as it's a business asset

Last edited:
well, the samples/sounds are for commercial use, i have taken steps to make sure of that, but anything can happen,i don't want my customers to have to deal with all that, how will they know how to clear samples or where they are from, but again anything can happen. and i mean, if another person buys the same loop package that i do and make a song from it, the loop of the strings for example would sound the same or similar but the production will be different on my end, but someone would have to be a fool to file a claim based on sounds they purchased from a sound library that other producers also purchase and incorporate those sounds into there production, but for next season im focusing more on my own material, but even so things could still happen, i was wondering if my terms and conditions will cover me as well , well if its written correctly,and im defiantly going to copyright my productions, and as for the site hacking thing, i will look into that.

well, the samples/sounds are for commercial use, i have taken steps to make sure of that, but anything can happen,i don't want my customers to have to deal with all that, how will they know how to clear samples or where they are from, but again anything can happen. and i mean, if another person buys the same loop package that i do and make a song from it, the loop of the strings for example would sound the same or similar but the production will be different on my end, but someone would have to be a fool to file a claim based on sounds they purchased from a sound library that other producers also purchase and incorporate those sounds into there production, but for next season im focusing more on my own material, but even so things could still happen, i was wondering if my terms and conditions will cover me as well , well if its written correctly,and im defiantly going to copyright my productions, and as for the site hacking thing, i will look into that.

It doesn't matter if they are for commercial use or not, you still run into a risk. If 10 of us used a sample from a royalty free loop library and 6 had similar arrangements and feels, they can be sued....it happens quite often.

And there is no proof that your production wasn't inspired by my production, nor is there proof that it was and it makes a huge mess. Lots of little things can happen in this space. I have a friend who was a big part of the "Acid Loops" library (royalty free) and there was a ton lawsuits in 04-06 that revolved around them and still do.

Sampling clearing
This is an easy process, not always cheap though

How will the customers know where the samples are from
It's your job to tell them who/what you've sampled

Yes, your terms and conditions can save you from a lot, make sure you have a professional help you draft it

Last edited:
oh ok, and as for the sampling thing, since i don't sample, would i have to let them know which sample packs the sounds were from that i used or something or which royalty free site site they were from

oh ok, and as for the sampling thing, since i don't sample, would i have to let them know which sample packs the sounds were from that i used or something or which royalty free site site they were from

I would to be on the safe side.

ya i guess i'll include a pdf file with every purchase or have it somewhere on my site or something, but ya, thanks for your input.
should i do this for kicks snares also or just samples/sounds/loops etc..

ya i guess i'll include a pdf file with every purchase or have it somewhere on my site or something, but ya, thanks for your input.
should i do this for kicks snares also or just samples/sounds/loops etc..

You could do it for kicks although they might be a bit much. I would leave it to loops.

forgot to ask u something regarding your friend and that acid loops library lawsuits, just wondering um, what were they about and why were there lawsuits and still lawsuits today over them

Back