Advice for my independent structure plan

Olie

Not looking to get signed to a label so I came up with a structure for revenue on my music, I would like some feedback if possible. I'm still quite small and I'm aware this might not scale up very well in some aspects, this would be the starting point.

YouTube will be my main platform to deliver my music in this structure although I could branch out. (Sites like Facebook and twitter will be involved for connection with fans and iTunes for sales)

The YouTube videos will not have pre roll ads as I feel this will discourage a new potential fans.

First I will post regular music to keep a substantial fan base on the platform and gain subscribers while I work on a full project. On these videos I will place options to donate through a platform such as patreon which sets up regular donations for rewards, the reward in this case would be things like seeing the progress on the new project. The highest donation amount would be receiving a signed copy of the CD before anyone else.

When the project is ready I will start a slow roll out of the music, perhaps one song a week or faster. The option of these videos will be to buy a signed copy of the whole album before the end of the roll out for a higher price than the average (to be decided) or to buy the currently released song on iTunes.

I will try to get sponsors on board for a 5 second silent 'sponsored by' message at the end of each video.

I will also link to my main site on each videos for merchandise sales, still debating putting banner ads on this or whether I should keep it clean.

As for promotion structure, I'm still working on that.

Last edited:
If I'm not mistaken, bandcamp offers you all this money flow (you can put your work as "name your price"), you can link it to your website, and you can also add mechandise in there. Basically, you would center your efforts in it, rather than multiple websites.

I think, also, that their rules of profit suits well with new underground artists, as they keep roughly 10% of the total revenue you get from your sales.

Back