Advice for a Music Resume?

IPM Music

Fremen
I've been poking around on Craigslist and LinkedIn and such, searching for Music Industry jobs that might suit me. I've seen a few that I feel I can handle, and they ask for a resume.

Now, I have a BA in Communications (Minor in Audio Production), where I mostly worked at the campus radio station producing on-air shows, and did hands-on mixing and editing for various projects. I did well in school too. This is clearly going on the resume, but I find I'm lacking in real job experience. (Why I didn't go for a job right out of the gate is for another discussion). My jobby-jobs have included bartender and co-owning a successful contracting business for the past 10 years. I've never been employed by a studio, radio station, or label.

My question is: What else can I put on there? I've composed some songs that have recently been licensed to TV shows (6 licensed tracks on 4 shows, so far). I've performed both live and in-studio as a musician in various bands. Produced a few beats for some indie rappers. Sync catalog is up to about 150 songs. I've got experience with all kinds of software and hardware, which I would also like to put on there.

If the question arises, "Well, what kind of job specifically are you going for?", my answer is "any" at this stage. I've seen leads for A&R, Music Libraries/Publishers, broadcasting, and more. My thought here is that for ANY job in music, I don't think I've got the "past career experience" to fill out a resume naturally. So these other skills and experiences may be all I have.

Any advice on this?

co-owning a successful contracting business for the past 10 years.

I've composed some songs that have recently been licensed to TV shows (6 licensed tracks on 4 shows, so far). I've performed both live and in-studio as a musician in various bands. Produced a few beats for some indie rappers. Sync catalog is up to about 150 songs. I've got experience with all kinds of software and hardware

This is what stuck out to me. I also see a production company in there. Do exactly what fataltone suggested, list what you have in chronological order. I would also add, read up on NEW techniques on how to draft resume's, cover letter's and how to answer the most commonly asked job interview questions.

BTW, NEVER say you'll accept any job, already have position/niche in mind, that comes from starting to focus on your goals/skillset's, doing research on the market, making phone calls and beginning to seriously network on a regular basis.

In your case, a detailed, targeted, FOCUSED cover letter for every company/position you apply to will be mandatory. That's where you can get into gritty details and extract your prior skills to fit the new position. I'm still amazed at how many people NEVER include a cover letter with their resume. That's the opportunity to "sell yourself" in your own words, not some rigid list.

Someone with your "non music" level of experience should be good at meeting and engaging new people, managing other people, meeting deadlines, working in a team based setting, doing payroll/bookkeeping, sales, creating marketing strategies, customer service and negotiating. Think up ALL of the stuff you were responsible for when you ran your business and weave it into your cover letter/verbal pitch.

**I recommend that you also check out a book called:
"The Subversive Job Search: How to Overcome a Lousy Job, Sluggish Economy, and Useless Degree to Create a Six-Figure Career" by Alan Corey

Last edited:
Back