Account security

deanlofts

Cubase Addict
Hey all, this is for anyone that deals with any artists with a reasonable following. I cannot stress the importance of account security for everything you have. I am in the process of helping an artist gain their Facebook, Gmail and Hotmail back after they have been hacked. The problem is that they never linked their mobile with any of the accounts and don't remember the answer to the security question on the hotmail account (the security question has been changed on the gmail account by the hacker already). It is a long painful process going through Facebook and GMail customer service for something that should take 2 seconds.

Very true.

Keep a spreadsheet or document containing all of your website account info (usernames, passwords, etc.) & change your passwords periodically. Pick complicated, yet easy to remember (for you) passwords. Re-enter them into the spreadsheet, referring back to them if ever needed.

Have to agree completely with both of the above posts. A lot of stuff I deal with is password time limited to a maximum of 90 days, so having a good set of tough yet memorable passwords is important.

I find that most systems let you rotate your passwords every 3rd or 4th reset, so think about having that scope as an option - i.e. you have four passwords associated with the account that you rotate in strict rotation or have a few more and then rotate on an ad-hoc basis.

Also beware of scammers claiming to have become your registrar for your domain names - this is what I am currently working against, as I received some notifications that my registrar had changed and false/fraudulent records from ICANN's WHOIS database were attached as proof.

Very true.

Keep a spreadsheet or document containing all of your website account info (usernames, passwords, etc.) & change your passwords periodically. Pick complicated, yet easy to remember (for you) passwords. Re-enter them into the spreadsheet, referring back to them if ever needed.

I wouldn't keep a document of all your username/passwords that's just asking for trouble.

I use RoboForm to generate & store my passwords, easily log in to any website with the click of a button.

As long as it is encrypted it is alright but most users wouldn't understand the concepts. The big thing is to have the redundancies set up.

Back