About Fair Use

Magical_

Just finished a small portion of a track I want to upload using YouTube, hoping to collect any ad revenue from it.

Thing is, I used all demo vsts (Including the D.A.W)

Even if the samples/vsts used was transformative, I'm assuming it will be voided anyways because I don't own a license for the software used to create it.
...Thoughts?

Last edited:
Just finished a small portion of a track I want to upload using YouTube, hoping to collect any ad revenue from it.

Thing is, I used all demo vsts (Including the D.A.W)

Even if the samples/vsts used was transformative, I'm assuming it will be voided anyways because I don't own a license for the software used to create it.
...Thoughts?

This is really hard question to answer as it all depends on whether or not somebody wants to flag you for it. If they don't, you'll be fine, but if they do it'll be taken down. Most people think that just because the sounds a royalty free that you will not run into legal issues, that's the furthest from the truth

This is really hard question to answer as it all depends on whether or not somebody wants to flag you for it. If they don't, you'll be fine, but if they do it'll be taken down. Most people think that just because the sounds a royalty free that you will not run into legal issues, that's the furthest from the truth

First: Thanks for taking the time to reply. I figured it would be a complex problem, since I'm not sure if they can tell that I used a particular demo vst in the first place, even though 1 vst I used the EULA states I cannot use demo version for commercial gain (hence my fair use proposition, which I'm not sure is even passable) .

On YouTube help section, there's an article called "what content can I monetize?" and under "original audio" it runs a checklist that states that if any digital audio software and or third party instruments were used, then I must state them.

Even if I lied, how would YouTube tell that my .WAV file was rendered using software that was demo version? can they run some type of encryption detection that can scan the .WAV file (my rendered song) to read it's data to unveil some type of algorithmic code proving it was rendered using demo synths? or more practical, asking me for all the software keys I used to register my products(which would be smart lol) I'm really confused hahaha.

Back