4 Reasons Why Most Beatmakers/Producers Don't Make A lot Of Money Online!

Rockaway

Reason 1:

They Don't Buy Enough Traffic:

Most don't buy enough quality traffic on a regular basis so they miss out on a lot of sales all of the time.

Reason 2:

They don't research their market.

Most don't even know what kinds of beats artists are looking for so they give artists beats that those artists don't really care to buy.

Reason 3:

Their beats don't solve a real problem.

The product that they sell (beats) is more of a commodity typically because artists don't really feel that they need to buy beats in the first place. Perhaps the music production community of well talented producers should focus their efforts else where when it comes to making money for themselves and not chump change or little to nothing. Perhaps selling beats shouldn't not be the a number priority and should be more of a add-on product.

Reason 4:

Their mailing lists don't buy their stuff!

They focus too much on freebie giveaway to bribe people into joining their mailing list so they end up with a mailing list full of freebie hunters. Since they only offer commodities (beats) to their list of artists and aren't really helping them they remain to make little to know money from them.

What do you think?

There are only 3 real reasons in my eyes

1. They don't market properly

2. They only cater to one audience

3. Most have shitty business plan and don't adapt to change very well

Last edited:
^

''They only cater to one audience''

What do you mean? I mean hip hop beatmakers just make HIP HOP beats so they'll just focus on selling to HIP HOP artists? theres nothing wrong with that? If thats whats you mean

^

''They only cater to one audience''

What do you mean? I mean hip hop beatmakers just make HIP HOP beats so they'll just focus on selling to HIP HOP artists? theres nothing wrong with that? If thats whats you mean

^ There is a much broader audience out there purchasing hiphop/rnb instrumentation, but most only cater and aim for artists.

The question is why don't hiphop producers make a lot of money online - to me that's a huge part of it (imo). When I cut artist out and focused on publishing/licensing deals(getting it into television/film) my income skyrocketed.

I'm not saying that you won't make anything working with artist, I'm just saying there are other avenues out there and if more producers were diverse in a business plan they would make more money

that's all im saying not trying to argue with anyone just imo

Last edited:
There are only 3 real reasons in my eyes
90% of this board can only produce hiphop and rnb. That's not bad but that's not where a lot of the money is.

True. It's not as the majority of artists don't see an investment of a beat as a solution to their problem of wanting free beats. Let me repeat that in other words. An upcoming Artist (Not all but most) want free beats. Producers attempts to sell the beat to that artist. He is pushing his beats down his throat and being all salesy. The artists does not buy because it does not solve his problem of wanting free stuff. This is what you call a freebie seeker. No matter if you build a relationship it is more unlikely that that artist will ever buy a beat and remain a loyal customer. When you bribe someone with free stuff you are attracting freebie seekers and if you constantly give them free stuff all the time you are training them to expect free stuff most of the time or all of the time depending on how you operate.

One way you can improve this is to separate your buyers from non buyers and deal with them when you have something to sell to them that already want and focus on building up a list buyers instead of free. In doing so it is very likely that you will lose money in the beginning.

See, and there is nothing wrong with freebee seekers (as you put it). It all depends on the producers goals. If he plan is to sell to artist then yes this is a problem. In my case, free that's vocals over my tracks and an increased chance of track placement (for me). A little more paper work to sign but hey

Last edited:
See, and there is nothing wrong with freebee seekers (as you put it). It all depends on the producers goals. If he plan is to sell to artist then yes this is a problem. In my case, free that's vocals over my tracks and an increased chance of track placement (for me). A little more paper work to sign but hey

Well the big placements usually happen when you can score a hit with a team of songwriters with direct connections to a label that wants that particular song. Freebie seekers cannot guarantee you a placement. And unless you constantly get placements where you get paid an advance plus points you're making zilch. With that approach you are relying on good faith. In business that is not something you want to do especially when you have viscous competitors!

But like you said it all comes down that producers goals. If he/she is ok with dealing with freebie seekers then good for them.

Well the big placements usually happen when you can score a hit with a team of songwriters with direct connections to a label that wants that particular song. Freebie seekers cannot guarantee you a placement. And unless you constantly get placements where you get paid an advance plus points you're making zilch. With that approach you are relying on good faith. In business that is not something you want to do especially when you have viscous competitors!

But like you said it all comes down that producers goals. If he/she is ok with dealing with freebie seekers then good for them.

I do a little work for both film and television companies (as well as gaming companies). I don't have a hit on my hands never have (may never have one). So needing a hit …. needing to work with hit writers eh... that's not a MUST HAVE

I use unsigned/non hit/non popular artist all the time when im shopping music. I think you may have misunderstood me. I don't count on artist to place my music. I just trade services... The artist has a beat he didn't pay for I have multiple vocals for my track that I can present to a music sup.

I've been making a good 4-5 fig monthly from these placements my friend. Again it's just all in your business plan.

Its alot harder to get your music on TV/shows etc ;P especially HIPHOP instrumentals

I can't say I share the experience of it being any harder to get music placed. Hiphop instrumentals aren't harder to place than any other genre out there. It comes down to what the project needs. Makes no sense to delivery genre x when genre y is being requested. Makes no sense to shop genre y when genre t is in demand

But back to the main topic....producers would make more money if they catered to other options that's my point

Last edited:
I do a little work for both film and television companies (as well as gaming companies). I don't have a hit on my hands never have (may never have one). So needing a hit …. needing to work with hit writers eh... that's not a MUST HAVE

Yes. Film placements are different as you are dealing the tv/film side which works a little different than major label placements for major artists albums as they tend to license music out more on a non exclusive basis. As long as the music fits for a particular emotion in a given scene that's all they really care about. Again you must have strong direct connections and relationships with the music supervisors for more consistent placements. They don't deal with everybody either.

Reason #1 - People don't buy music.
Reason #2 - The "industry" is saturated.
Reason #3 - People are hellbent on copycat producing instead of being original.
Reason #4 - People worry too much about selling beats and don't focus on improving their production skill, beats, and brand.

---------- Post added at 01:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:56 PM ----------

Reason #5... EDM is more universal and more commercially viable

I would agree Alkota, But i dont think being saturated is a factor, If you are good at what you do, you will break through, but you have to be good at everything you do that includes Production, Mixing, Marketing, and Networking, then mix all that with real Persistence, most "producers" arent willing to sacrifice the time and effort it takes to get good at every aspect.

@Cyko

I always see people talking about getting placements in film/tv/games/etc.

I wouldn't be opposed to producing for those markets, but I have no idea how you break in. I don't expect direct contact information as that may take out of the lining in your pockets, but do you have any tips on pursuing film/tv placements?

I make a lot of my income from placements/royalties (see my video about royalties on my site). It's all about relationships. Go out, network, tell everyone you know what you do, make a lot of friends. You want to target Music Supervisors (people that place music in film/tv) or Music Editors (people who put temp music on the show) or even video editors (they often put music on the show to cut to as well). The earlier you get on the better, as the director will be used to your track. You can join something like TAXI as well. Ain't sayin' it's EZ though.

Back