2 HUGE mistakes new producers make and how to stay away from them

SFTRAXX

West Coast Rap Producer
Mistake #1

Taking advice from other newbie Producers just like you.

I've been on this forum for a while now and I can't begin to tell you how many new Producers create an account, ask a question in this section and then run with the first answer they get. (A lot of the time I've noticed the answer comes from people who are new just like you) C'mon Producers... you've got to be smarter than that. - Do your homework. Use the site's search engine and take the time to read some relevant threads. If you ever want to be taken seriously as a Producer you've got to take time out to do the proper research. Many others have traveled down the same road you are about to embark on, and shared it on this site. Why not learn from their experiences?

Because, lets face it, we don't live long enough to make all the mistakes ourselves.

Also: If the person has 2 posts, take what that individual says with a huge grain of salt... :rolleyes:

Mistake #2

Ask the same question over and over until they get the answer they want.

Stop that. Seriously.
Realize that not all answers are going to be what you want to hear.
Not all answers are going to be correct either but they can be a great starting point to the right answer.
So do yourself a favor and [again] do your homework.

What do I mean by "Do your homework"?

Simple. Search the forum and read the threads that seem like they might pertain to your situation.

Also: Please use common sense.

If you are in a legal bind and are seeking some important legal advice don't do it on a forum. Contact a lawyer or someone who specializes in the area you are seeking help in. Seriously. You could be setting yourself up for failure getting "legal advice" from a 12 year old on a forum. :4theloveofgod:

Good Luck Producers.

Last edited:
Mistake #1

Taking advice from other newbie Producers just like you.

I've been on this forum for a while now and I can't begin to tell you how many new Producers create an account, ask a question in this section and then run with the first answer they get. C'mon Producers... you've got to be smarter than that. - Do your homework. If you ever want to be taken seriously as a Producer you've got to take time out to do the proper research. Many others have traveled down the same road you are about to embark on, and shared it on this site. Why not learn from their experiences?

Because, lets face it, we don't live long enough to make all the mistakes ourselves.

Also: If the person has 2 posts, take what that individual says with a huge grain of salt... :rolleyes:

Mistake #2

Ask the same question over and over until they get the answer they want.

Stop that. Seriously.
Realize that not all answers are going to be what you want to hear.
Not all answers are going to be correct either but they can be a great starting point to the right answer.
So do yourself a favor and [again] do your homework.

What do I mean by "Do your homework"?

Simple. Search the forum and read the threads that seem like they might pertain to your situation.

Also: Please use common sense.

If you are in a legal bind and are seeking some important legal advice don't do it on a forum. Contact a lawyer or someone who specializes in the area you are seeking help in. Seriously. You could be setting yourself up for failure getting "legal advice" from a 12 year old on a forum. :4theloveofgod:

Good Luck Producers.

yeah a lot of ppl don't want to do their homework/research
I make quite a bit of money giving simple information to producers who refuse to put in the work when it comes to simple business things
stuff that can be found on Google easily
but like there is a market for $1 and $5 beats
there is a market to help lazy producers

2.asking the same question over and over
comes down to not doing 1. (research)

Google and Youtube has alot of information but finding the correct answer can be hard sometimes

lol how is #2 a "mistake"? Stop acting like you know it all bruh. you're a 12 year old newbie producer like the rest of us.

lol how is #2 a "mistake"? Stop acting like you know it all bruh. you're a 12 year old newbie producer like the rest of us.
It IS a mistake. Recently a guy asked something about using amps for his headphones. I answered it. then he thanked me, but said I didn't answered. I answered again, explaining more about what I said. He thanked me again and said I still didn't answered his question. Then I answered with the first results on a google search I did with the terms "headphones" and "amp". He thanked me again.

See? That's what op is talking about. And I think it's pretty valid the mention of legal questions people make here. You don't want a 12yo to know how things work on a juridic sphere.

it's deeper on #2 than you might think

some guys come on and ask the same question in 20 threads thinking that will get them the answer quicker, instead of of just annoying the moderators instead

the hardest ones are those where someone uses the device specific language for their question and then gets told that you can't do that in that device as it is, wait for it, "not a compressor" - from someone who has never used the device or read the manual for that device; i.e. the answer was given without full knowledge of the problem domain

It is a real hassle for any forum mod to know when to step in and delete crap responses or to let them stand and just correct with an additional answer that ultimately may just confuse everyone because of the conflicting responses already in the thread

On legal questions it is important to consult your own lawyer as you then at least have someone you can legitimately pursue if they give you bad advice that leads to you losing money or being sued for acting on that advice

lol how is #2 a "mistake"?

when the question gets asked repeatedly so that the information the op has is what gets answered: we recently had a guy banned because he could not handle being told he was wrong about copyright law and the fair use doctrine, even though several different people had already pointed out the limits of fair use (Critical review and Education only) prior to his arrival. Abusive because he was told he was wrong is putting it mildly

i.e. giving advice that is factually and legally incorrect happens: some people have invested their entire lives into pushing a belief that does not hold up under even the most basic scrutiny, to have this pointed out to them in an internet forum, they become enraged because their world view is challenged effectively and with reference to external authorities - the copyright office in the USA for example.

in a nutshell do your own homework, and learn to sniff out BS

Back