11:11 Music Business Podcast

agivens

My name is Alden from Houston, TX and I’ve got just over 15 years of experience in the music industry as a music business consultant.

Some of my clients are:

Chamillionaire (former)

Sound M.O.B. who produced Litty for Meek mills and Feel Me for Tyga featuring Kanye West.

June James who produced YFN Lucci’s Key to the streets featuring Quavo from the amigos and YFN’s latest hit Everyday we Lit.

Slikk Muzik who produced for Arianna Grande, Jamie Foxx, Sophia Reyes, Tank and some other.

Snizzyonthebeat who produced lil Wayne’s Nightmares of the Bottom

And I work with several indie labels and artists/

Recently I’ve started a music industry podcast entitled the 11:11 Podcast that touch contract terms and issues, interviews of some of my clients and colleagues and I’ll also tell some personal stories from time in the music business.

Below is a link to the intro episode of the podcast. If you’ve got any questions or topics that you’d like covered let me know and I’ll touch on them.

http://bit.ly/2DhcvR3

Last edited:
I'd like for you to touch on the myth of the level playing field w/respect to how the Internet has changed and is changing the music business for better and worse.

Looking forward to you sharing personal stories as I always wanted and want to know the realities of the business as opposed to the fantasies.

Last edited:
The internet has created an opportunity for music to be heard that didn’t exist before.

It’s a great time to be a consumer and an even better time to be a fan of music. To think that 200 years ago you had to be at a live performance to hear music and now people can carry around an endless supply of songs and playlists on their mobile device.

On the creator side of things, you can buy a computer, purchase/illegally download software with some plug ins, get some monitors/headphones and teach yourself about mixing and create (somewhat) radio quality material. Technology has lowered the bar for entry into music as a creator. Some people are calling themselves producers and rappers when in the past they would just be fans of the music bc there was a time when, if there wasn’t a legit $100,000 studio set up they wouldn’t have had the opportunity to create without picking up an instrument. This isn’t a bad thing.

Technology has also destroyed the distribution system. There was a time when few songs were recorded and even few were released. Now with digital distribution anyone has the ability to upload their music onto the internet with the chance to access millions of people.

With more creators than ever before uploading music and giving people access to more music than ever before it creates a white noise that only a few can break through and actually get the attention of a segment of the public.

Getting attention requires marketing and marketing requires money.

So in the end the big players with the big money are still going to get the general public’s (consumers) attention which means be on the radio, be on tv and perform at the largest venues. How much will all of that matter in future since the younger people don’t watch TV, don’t listen to radio and promoters are finding it harder to sell out large venues? Who knows.

Creators without large budgets will need to carve out their own niche segment of consumers that they can call fans. So if you’re not doing something unique that has a clear demand outside of the mainstream or have a large marketing budget (or plan to get one) then call it quits bc you likely won’t get above the white noise of your genre.

So I’ve started getting a lot questions as to what it is exactly that I do. Generally, I serve as the liaison between the creative person and any business opportunities that come their way. That’s a really broad answer so i’ll provide more detail.

60%Negotiating and drafting production contracts/publishing contracts and recording contracts.

5%Helping clients get their business formation paperwork together i.e. DBA, EIN, LLC., become a member of a performance rights organization and contracting personnel

30% Creating/executing project plans for recording, marketing/promoting, and releasing material.

5%Provide reports based on social media, email and website metrics.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here’s a list of some of my current tasks for the weekend...

Create a project plan for June Jame's Hit Cartel releases through Empire

Turn in red-line version of Kirk Franklin/Newsboys production agreement for Slikk

Follow up with Publisher's for Sound MOB publishing offers

Follow up with Youngboy NBA's people regarding "Chosen One" production agreement

Send music to Cardi B's manager, senior VP at 300 and Youngboy NBA's manager

Record Mechanical Royalty Podcast

Follow up on release forms for Slikk's documentary and possible distributor

Follow up with Silento's people on Body Love placement for Slikk

record mechanical royalty podcast

Let me know if you have any questions about the music industry!

Back