Working with engineer

narf

Hi everyone,
I just wanted to get an idea what it's like working with an engineer as an assistant (I believe they exist..) if anyone knows something.
I understand it's very unlikely (perhaps) to be accepted as engineer, so assistant may be easier at first.
They do some boring stuff or not, i don't know.. no particular country in mind. Experience may heavily depend on people and place
maybe i'm thinking in a wrong way. Of course i wish there were more creative things to do.

Interns don't do a lot but get coffee and menial jobs and wait for an opportunity. An actual assistant engineer (A1), while I believe a rare position today, actually has a lot of (meaningful) work to do (equipment maintenance, setting-up and moving mikes at the producer's or chief engineer's behest, when using a tape recorder, this person is often the "tape op"/tape-machine operator; getting equipment or mikes out of storage, and taking care of some menial tasks as-needed by the producer/engineer/artist).

If you have, are pursuing, or are thinking of pursuing an opportunity as an assistant, do yourself a favor and get the Assistant Engineer's Handbook and read it cover-to-cover: https://www.amazon.com/Assistant-Engineers-Handbook-Tim-Crich/dp/0969822332 .

If you're fine with picking up heavy objects it might be easier to get a job as an assistant for live music at a venue (could be setting up mics, monitors, lights, etc).

Thanks you guys! I'm almost sure thats not for me. And i'm not fine with picking up heavy objects.
rhythmgj you seem to know a lot :)

Yeah honestly as and intern you really just sit, watch and observe. I just recently interned at a studio, it was very tedious but you do learn a lot from just watching

Back